Agnostic.com

4 4

LINK The Dark World of New Age Gurus

It's my thinking that we became fractured, as a society, when cable removed us from the common viewing experiences. We had many things as unifiers and felt that we had a more-or-less common purposes for existence. That blanky unwove when the Ted Turner gave us 24 hour news and the society became busier. Ten minute segments worked well on work breaks and "keeping up." That also was going to get competition and foreseeably polarize us. These things have become so.
They are being exacerbated by such Guru's, grifters of any so called religion that preys on greed, who do as this video describes. This is why Taoists become Monks, accepting food and drink as their donations, and speak about liberation from human constructs. Money is such a construct.
For those who might think that I'm trying to sell a new idea from an old one, attaching a NN to Zen Taoism, note that I make no mention of a book for sale. It is just a simple idea which occured to me and, I think, would have many societal benefits for healing and reverence for nature. All nature, for it is all one thing. Everything in it is equal to everything else. All things have various capacity for amusing our animating NN through its eternal incarnations but nothing has superiority over something else. Merely affect.
I have a legal Ordination but only imaginary robes as I do not need to beg. My study has been in solitude and, being a story teller, something I offer to solve many issues which are actually causing death. Consider it free of charge🌎☯🧘

rainmanjr 8 Oct 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It would be nice to think this may be preaching to the converted here, but sadly even here you can encounter a few people quoting new age ideology, and even attempting to promote it. It is all too easy to find people everywhere, who have not yet matured to the point where they understand the first and most important stage of growing up, which is. "I want", is not the same as "its true".

There is no accusing in what I say.

Money isn't the only gratification. There's ego. I have known "truth" mongers whose real motivation is to feel superior, falsely special. So that the effect of their counsel is to aggrandize themselves. Humility and gratitude are not their way. With true humility one can honor each person's quest. What is right for one is not always right for another. Each person has the right to work things out for himself. So a guru can lead from behind, giving support but never dictating what a person should do or what he should think. That's not so easy. Understanding and love go a long way.

I see nothing accusational in that. Only truth. In fact, I would say a need for power comes more from ego than money. Money twists arms without power being directly part of it but ego can only be stroked by submission to its power.

In my church daze and ministry study it fit my ego to be a "religious guru." I was special because I knew so many things that others did not. Now that I am on the other side of the fence I think this is still so very true. I can claim "I do not know and neither do you" and I can back it up. It all fits my ego.

The core idea jumping out at me is that for grift to be effective, the grifter must utilize an idea with some kernal of truth at its center. That idea, whatever it may be, is key to hooking the marks into trusting the grifter, so that they are willing to risk acting on the grifter's more dubious instructions.

I had the same idea but it doesn't hold true for gQp. They go nuts for anything.

@rainmanjr Sorry, who? "gQP?" Translate please. My old brain must be going out.

@rainmanjr going "for anything" is part of the result of a cult of personality. It does not matter how insane the message is. What matters to the gullible is WHO the messenger is. Once they have gotten excited over some over-confident charismatic leader, the level of insanity in the message no longer matters to them.

@MikeInBatonRouge Yesterday's GOP is todays gQp.

@rainmanjr ah. Grand Q-anon Party. Got it.

From Tao te Jing.

Great quote.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:627882
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.