Agnostic.com

12 0

What is 'human nature'?

Is it 'fixed' or is it 'fluid'?

atheist 8 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Its belonging, communicating, bargaining. What other natures have I omitted?

No such thing, there is only human behaviours which as pretty diverse.

@atheist human nature seems to imply a universal behaviour of all humans, whereas I see such diverse behaviours within the population. So I guess if we looked at some sort of average human behaviour, it would be fluid.

@atheist yep, I agree with what you say, just in my head as you said, I use different words.

Twisted animal behaviors.

As far as l can tell nothing to brag about. ?

It's a word that people throw behaviour like greed, or selfishness in like it's some kind of fixed trait that is the core instinct of our being. I most often see it used to justify certain political theories to make people feel better about exploiting other people.

@atheist I don't think we are born selfish. Babies cry but it's a matter of survival not selfishness. There's a book called How are we to Live by Peter Singer. He takes a look at evolutionary biology studies that show our focus as social animals is actually on the family and the group and not necessarily on the self. The group is the best way to ensure safety and the passing on of DNA. The modern Christian view stems from Martin Luther and later John Calvin suggesting that earthly wealth was a sign of God's grace and a righteous life. Puritans brought this viewpoint to America, claimed that wealth was a sign of salvation, and it's one of the ghosts of Puritanism that we still live with.

"Human Nature" is fixed. It is hard wired by our genetic code. That is why we eat, breathe, feel the urge for sex, etc.
Don't confuse it with "Human Nurture", which is fluid.

@atheist As instinctive as has been programmed into out genetic adaptations - in common with all life. A plant automatically seeks light, animals automatically seek their pre-programmed species preferences for mating, etc. Nurture might then intervene to give one a mating preference for a particular hair colour, body shape, etc.

I'm going to say Fluid.
As a society changes, the nature of those within that society changes... And I would say that it differs over time, from place to place, and possibly from person to person.
What one person does naturally (kill??), another person might be completely appalled by and unable to do.

@atheist
I think that there might be instinctive behaviors, but that culture (and circumstances) can override it.

For instance... I suspect that...
...take a child - having never seen a dog before, at seeing a puppy for the first time, will have a natural reaction - might find it cute and cuddly and want to play with it and consider it a friend, or pet, or develop some emotional connection with it.
(or maybe see it as a threat - don't know - might be different depending on the child.)

However, if that same child that would have found it cute and cuddly, but at an earlier age was bitten, now finds it as a threat.

Furthermore, if that same child that would have found it cute and cuddly was brought up in an environment (culture) where dogs are considered food; they might still find it cute, but have no (or fewer) issues with the idea of killing it.

(For the record, I like dogs well enough and have not, to the best of my knowledge, ever eaten one.)

Something else to consider - Peer Pressure/Mob Mentality - A normally gentle person that wouldn't normally hurt anyone, might be driven to kill/hurt/maim though pressure in a social or mob situation. Arguably this might be both situational and a natural reaction...

So - ya - fluid - a bit of both or everything, but I think culture (or situational ie - based on previous or current experiences - either real or learned though story) plays a major roll.

Just my thoughts.

"human nature" is whatever you need it to be to enforce the circularity of your argument.

Chaos, fluid, constantly changing.

@atheist stand back!!

What ever is ingrained in each of us as a species.

That's a very general question.
So I'll give general answer.
It's what we live.
Fixed or fluid ? Yes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:62870
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.