Agnostic.com

36 5

In your opinion what is the most likely thing that could halt human progress?

Technology? Environment? Arrogance? Or?

atheist 8 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My money is on is doing it.

Humanity.

Irrationality in all its guises

Over population....

@atheist China had to do it.... India will be next... they won't have a choice at that pace

A 25 kilometer diameter asteroid impact would do a right fine job.

A major solar flare could turn up the heat nicely.

A simultaneous eruption of all Earths supervolcanoes could dust us.

The arrival of an unknown virulent virus could be a culminating contagion.

I suppose just about any "take-no-prisoners-leave-no-survivors event would slow us down substantially.

@atheist -- Maybe, but then my vision is not as dark as yours, I guess.

1. Breeding. animal groups that become too successful tend to breed themselves to a point beyond that in which their environment can support them.
  2. Technology - perhaps the lack of sufficent technology to prevent a meteor causing a mass extinction - or perhaps insufficent technology to expand to other planets and create more breeding space. (double edged sword, that!)

@atheist Climate change comes under the "Technology" heading. Given sufficient technology, such as a mastery of nuclear fusion, then fossil fuels become redundant and climate change fades in importance - especially since the availability of vast energy quantities would allow plentiful desalination and with it the recovery of dust bowls.

@atheist Our trouble is that we worry about what will happen after we are dead and beyond caring. Unlike the people who care more for their personal wealth than the survival of their offspring.

Nothing. Progress can be impeded, but not stopped.
Given our short life span we have a skewed vision of evolution.
But think of where humanity was even 200 years ago. That's roughly three life times.
Still sucks in a lot of ways, but obviously many things have improved despite the impediments of some.

Some naztural catastrophe -- asteroid strike, super-volcano eruption, global warming, ice age, etc.

Humans!
Humans the only creatures that uses products not produce in nature by alternating them to suit their needs to change it's environment, hence destroying the ecology wholesale without any real regard for the other creatures in the ecological cycles of life on this planet t!!

people, so population growth, overpopulation

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:62931
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.