Agnostic.com

7 5

LINK Warrant: Baldwin Didn't Know Weapon Loaded With Live Rounds

This is unbelievable. Who could be this careless? Live rounds aren't supposed to be used in the set. I really hope it doesn't turn out that there was any malicious intent here. Why was Alec Baldwin handed a firearm loaded with full rounds.

barjoe 9 Oct 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The live rounds was certainly a big issue. My question I keep wondering is why was he pointing the gun and pulling the trigger at the directors? Had one of the other actors been shot by the fatal error (which has happened on other movie sets) sort of understandable. By why was it aimed at targets not in the actual movie action?

Why in this century are they not using CGI to generate gunfire anyway ?

I really don’t know how to parse this:
[abc7.com]
“ With a tentative deal reached at the 11th hour, a threatened strike by tens of thousands of behind-the-scenes workers in Hollywood film and television production has apparently been averted.

But some union members say they're not happy with the agreement.

Actor Alec Baldwin took to Instagram to offer words of encouragement to members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, or IATSE, who are not satisfied with the tentative contract agreement reached between union negotiators and the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television producers.

The tentative three-year deal reached over the weekend avoided a nationwide strike that would have started Monday. However, many members unhappy with the agreement do not plan to vote to ratify it.”

[forbes.com]

“When the crew members, who are members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees Union (IATSE), walked off set, they say they were replaced with non-union members and were ordered to leave the premises, according to the LA Times.”
[…]
“ IATSE Local 44, which represents prop masters, told members early Friday that the prop gun Baldwin shot was filled with a “live round” and that a single shot injured both Hutchins and Joel Souza. The sheriff’s department has not yet released any findings about the shooting.The prop master on set is not a member of the local.”

Hot mess?

There's a lot more to this story, from what I heard from Rachel Maddow earlier.

@BitFlipper I’m not typically one to latch on to bizarre news items but this coupled with Laundrie’s remains has me wondering if Rod Serling will make an appearance. Seriously puzzled by both events. Tragedy seems to be an ever recurring theme.

Silly headline. Of course if he had known he possibly wouldn't have fired the gun at those people. Really.

After Brandon Lee and other incidents the rules on movie sets were increased a lot, I believe, like not only people to check the guns but people to check the checked guns etc. COVID has held up a lot of productions, and I'm wondering if corners have been cut and rules broken in this period. There are a lot of complaints from production people about working conditions now, and even strikes, as you probably know. I'm just speculating, but as I always say, Hollywood and the movie industry is a ruthless one, often reflecting the worst aspects of American capitalism. You just have look beyond all that movie star bullshit. And actually they do use live rounds on movie sets, but the rules and procedures are supposed to be very rigorous, with people whose only job it is to handle this.

The point is live rounds aren't supposed to be anywhere near a movie set. It was not public knowledge that the gun was loaded with real bullets. It was assumed that the prop gun malfunctioned. You might think the headline is silly but it brings something that was unknown to light.

When Ayrton Senna and Dale Earnhardt died in tragic crashes, Formula 1 then NASCAR ramped up their safety standards. Did the film industry do the same after Brandon Lee died filming The Crow?

At close range "dead" rounds (for noise & flash) can & have killed.

Yes but these were real bullets, not blanks. I wonder how many non-fatal near misses there have been in the past. If nobody has gotten hurt, we wouldn't know about this incident. There has to be better safety protocol in the industry.

@barjoe apparently there was a walk-off by workers on this set because of safety concerns more than once....very low-budget film & no required Union PropMaster overseeing.
Last night MSNBC did a recap of several instances where this kind of thing happened (but mostly with blanks) where people were killed, including Bruce Lee's son, thus the Union rules about PropMasters. But if you don't hire one......

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:629686
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.