Agnostic.com

34 16

How does it happen?? A person that was once an atheist is now a Christian. Baffles the shit out of me.

MrDragon 7 Oct 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Doesn't make sense

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 25, 2021

As a lifelong atheist, I am confused how anyone could be an informed believer anyway.
What's that old saying?
'No one can sincerely go to seminary school and come out believing in god.'

I don't see it as any bigger jump to becoming a believer no matter what they were before -- much as I think they're making a mistake.
If that's how they now want to spend their life, that's their choice to make.

Their potential problem is the same as with all theists -- they're not allowed to impose their choice on others.

The great thing about being an atheist is that I have the option of changing my mind should I become convinced otherwise.

They have become convinced otherwise.

Well, I have to say that while it certainly can happen, I am doubtful of such people in their claim that they were atheists. Often when pushed they admit they were more like agnostics and similar, and this doesn't surprise me as much as many people in this category are still psychologically linked to forms of religion or mysticism or supernaturalism and 'converting' back or to religion isn't that big a surprise. Yes I'm sure there are stories of hard line atheists who suddenly believe in a woman impregnating God born as saviour turned miracle working zombie who came to personally save them from sins that their impregnating diety created in the first place, but i remain sceptical of all such stories, and a solid interview might reveal a different story.

Said person is cognitively challenged.

I don't complain of those who find a god in their way.

I am currently discussing the topic with her, I'll keep you all updated as to how this goes. We had some words during a debate and she is rather reluctant to talk to me, can't say that I blame her on that, we did say some pretty nasty shit to each other.
I'll keep you posted, this should be interesting, to say the least.

You said.. "some words". Did you say... there is no god? That's the killer.

@St-Sinner 😆, no, we ended up calling each other names, and the normal belittling thing, you know, kid shit. She's very defensive. However, she isn't your typical fundamentalist, which had thrown me a bit. Strange, maybe a new brand of Christianity is afoot. I'm trying to find out.

Well, so far she was raised as an Atheist. I am trying to get her to tell me how she came to make a decision to become a Christian, although some of the things she has posted would indicate that she could possibly be a gnostic.

If they were truly atheist I don’t see how they could start believing. I wonder if there is some incentive for believing that makes them want to appear to believe.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:630065
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.