Agnostic.com

12 6

General and hello

I've met some people and their profile says they're freethinkers and religion is Christian or Catholic, is that a contradiction?

Millie 6 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not necessarily.

@Millie I’ve met freethinking Christians, but I really wonder how long they can be openly critical and remain Christian.

Obviously! Free thinking and Christianity are polar opposites.

Yes. It most certainly is.
Btw, welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your stay.

I see no contradiction necessarily. I would say I am a ‘freethinker’, but if tomorrow the god of Christianity was revealed to me in such a way that I believe in Christianity, I would still consider myself a freethinker. I suppose it all boils down to what ‘freethinker’ means.

Not as far as I can see . They just have not the exposure to the other side of the coin . My guess. I find alot of religious people are lovely . Hardly ever have I had a problem . My horror of their misguided thinking is kept to myself. as for the money grabbers I've never met one . That would not be a happy chat.

Not in their head.

I went to a German Lutheran School/church that my grandmother and mother attended. When I was 8 I asked my grandmother how if made sense if I lived in another country and never heard of Jesus I wouldn't go to heaven. Her answer was, "The story does have some holes in it." I think for them the church was cultural experience and better education. She also told me when I came home from school crying because a girl in clasz told me I was peculiar that it was great news as it meant I wasn't part of the herd. She taught me, even expected me to be a free thinker and always identified as being Lutheran. Maybe because Martin Luther was a rebel. Not sure. Just my 2 cents on topic.

To me it is.

free·think·er
noun
a person who rejects accepted opinions, especially those concerning religious belief.

[dictionary.com]

Sounds so to me.

I'm willing to say freethinking is lack of any religious committment. The Nones pretty much fit this.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:63079
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.