Agnostic.com

8 24

Won a trip to Reno with our Rainbow Trout costumes.

In 1988, my husband Terry and I decided to make Rainbow Trout costumes for Halloween.

An artist, Terry shaped the heads with chicken wire. The first head looked like a chicken.

Trying again, Terry shaped two trout heads that passed inspection. We covered the chicken wire with masking tape. Terry painted the tape with white gesso primer that shrinks art canvases. Gesso made the surface smooth and tight.

Inside the masks, I pressed pink Kleenex against the sticky tape to look like the inside of a fish mouth. We made it up as we went.

Terry used a spray gun to paint the distinctive rainbow pattern on the masks. He cut Nerf balls in half with a bread knife, painted the eyes and glued them on. Then sprayed clear shellac to make the masks look wet.

Meanwhile, I sewed back fins that I stitched to the back of our fishing vests. The back fins waved back-and-forth as we walked. Also sewed side fins to pin to our shoulders. Terry painted the fins.

"Plastic forks!" I cried, elbowing Terry in bed in the middle of the night. "What?" "For the teeth." We broke off white plastic fork tines, gluing them in the upper and lower jaws. Across our chests we strung silver spoons used for trolling.

Painted our faces black to recede inside the masks.

At first, the heads fell down because they were so long. Solved this by stringing stout twine across the chicken wire inside the back of the heads. Behind the twine, I shoved a large dry sponge. This comfortably held up the masks to see out the mouth.

Finally, we painted our faces black to recede inside the masks. We dressed in all white. Wore fishing vests and borrowed waders. Over 1,000 people entered the Monster Mash costume competition on Halloween night.

"Who's in there?" a male jackass demanded, trying to yank open the jaws. "Let go of my mask!" I yelled, alarmed. I twisted away and escaped. After that, I stayed close to Terry.

Never broke the magic.

I think we won partly because we stayed in character. We danced cheek-to-cheek (gill-to-gill) and the Swim. It was hot in that room. Other people took off their heads. We never broke the magic because the fins were pinned to our shoulders. At most, we removed our gloves.

We won a free trip to Reno, Nevada for New Year's Eve. Neither of us gamble. Instead we rented a car and drove north to Lake Tahoe.

We had a great time snowshoeing and saw the Pointer Sisters' concert on New Year's Eve.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Submitted for your approval:

That's really neat, Kathleen. Meanwhile, I will have a sign on my door tomorrow saying "No Halloween here" and my friend called me Scrooge. I had to explain to him that Scrooge is for Christmas.

The Rainbow Trout costumes look they sprung straight out of a painting by Hieronymous Bosch. 🙂

@ASTRALMAX

Interesting point.

The masks don't look disturbing like many Hieronymus Bosch paintings, especially his depictions of Hell.

@LiterateHiker Doubtless, Hieronmymous Bosch had ball with his depiction of nudes. Outside of a religious context the depiction of nudes would have meant a stretch on the rack or worse for a painter during the Renaissance.

The reporter got the species wrong...they said "Steelhead" instead of "Rainbow". Great job on thr costumes though...Gordon Lightfoots song Rainbow Trout would have been appropriate to play.

@phoenixone1

I noticed that, too. Thank you.

@LiterateHiker seeing as how it was 1988?...a little too late for a correction...unless you have access to a DeLorean and a Flux Capacitor...😂

Cool great job

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 29, 2021

i went as a red herring one time.

probably didn't mention how you gotta wear'em the whole time.

@hankster

Wearing the costume was no hardship. I got thirsty in the hot room. But we chose to stay in character.

@LiterateHiker thirst is often keener in the hot room.

@hankster

Who cares?

@LiterateHiker thirsty and scantilly clad folks with no place to sit.

@hankster

You are making incorrect assumptions. There were tables and chairs. The venue sold drinks.

@LiterateHiker I'm not making assumptions just goofing off. but if you want me to make assumptions I'll try.

Clever!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:631033
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.