Agnostic.com

1 4

And, in the Us. LOL

Triphid 9 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Many years ago I learned how to make a shed rattlesnake rattle sound just like the real thing. Ha, ha. 🤔 It won't sound right if you just hold the rattle and shake it.🙂

Make a loop of thread a foot or so long and tie on a shed rattle.
Then firmly stretch the thread between your hands so that when you rotate your hands the thread doesn't go around like a pulley but rather rubs against your thumbs.
The vibration will make the rattle sound exactly like a live snake. It will scare the pants off anyone who's heard the sound of a nearby rattlesnake. Ha, ha.🙂

Luckily we don't get rattlers over my way, just some of most venomous snake in the world instead and they are silent.

Rattlesnakes aren't always deadly of course. Neither are black widows, tarantulas, most scorpions or Gila monsters. Several people I know have dogs who've been snake bit on the nose.

I got stung by a scorpion myself once on the 1st overnight of a two week vacation. A sting or bite just tends to be painful and unpleasant. And the mouth and teeth of a Gila monster are so small about the only way they could get you is by grabbing the flap of skin at the base of your thumb and chewing. No awake person is in serious danger. Ha, ha.🙂

About the only person I know of to die from a local animal bite was the father of a Navajo friend who died of Bubonic plague from a flea bite -- a different threat altogether.

My friend died of COVID last year, BTW. He spent time on a ventilator, thought he'd recovered, then died of a heart attack about a week later. There are many things that can kill you that are much harder to see coming (Captain Obvious speaking).

@RichCC Well don't get bitten by any of our venomous snakes then, chance are if you are more than 30 minutes from Medical help you'd best be planning your funeral.
As for our spiders, the Sydney Funnel is a nasty little eight legged beastie with a venomous bite and attitude to boot, the Aussie Red-back Spider, the FEMALE is the one to watch out for, her bite may not kill but, trust, it WILL make wish it had.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:631808
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.