Agnostic.com

8 13

LINK Did my intern frame my coworker for credit card theft? — Ask a Manager

This is a fascinating article and made me laugh out loud a few times in the comments. A jacket belonging to an intern was stolen from an office, and the woman accused of the crime "couldn't have done it because she went to church." Once you get into the comments it is just amazing. I don't usually read the commentary, but this one has some great stuff.

HippieChick58 9 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Working in HR I cannot tell you how many time I heard the term β€œI am a good Christian man/ woman” when the employee is the accused. πŸ™„

Besides being amused by the comments, I learned something startling: "According to a recent study from the Pew Research Center, of the roughly 80,000 federal prosecutions initiated in 2018, just two percent went to trial. More than 97 percent of federal criminal convictions are obtained through plea bargains, and the states are not far behind at 94 percent."

[nbcnews.com]

We have an extraordinarily classist system. Attorneys are very expensive, and bail isn't cheap. Keeping a suspected non-violent offender in jail while awaiting trial causes them to lose their home, their job, and often their family, all before they even go to court.

"Six out of 10 people in U.S. jailsβ€”nearly a half million individuals on any given dayβ€”are awaiting trial. People who have not been found guilty of the charges against them account for 95% of all jail population growth between 2000-2014."

Apparently treating people as though they're guilty before proven so is pretty common.

I still remember how, when I was a grad student working at a low wage work study job in the law school library, how one winter day somebody, never found out who, stole my sweater from the coat closet. I still remember how stunned I was to find it gone when I got ready to leave that day. My guess is that it was a fellow student employee, since only staff used the closet. Maybe it was a FT staff member. At least I lost nothing else as it wasn't a jacket or coat with pockets. I have always been too careful to ever leave keys, a phone or anything valuable in a coat or jacket pocket when I hung those up in a public closet, or even leaving my seat at a bar or restaurant.

Attending church , never guarrentees a person is honest . They only feel they are forgiven , for any crime they commit .

The responses good. The lack of logic though is stunning, it's as though the person completely missed the fact this good church goer STOLE the jacket in the first place. She loses all credibility right from jump. Gezzz

Yeah, the responces are awesome!

Always nice to read comments that make me laugh and don't infuriate me! Love the thread about fish microwavers.

dkp93 Level 8 Nov 12, 2021

Church lady is a thief, period.

There's zero proof that the intern lied.

I wonder what was ordered, and who picked up the packages?

The police should definitely be investigating, and church lady should be fired.
The company might also want to fire the OP, who is clearly an idiot.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:633563
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.