Agnostic.com

4 7

LINK Born to Win, Schooled to Lose: Why Equally Talented Students Don't Get Equal Chances to Be All They Can Be - CEW Georgetown

The American Dream promises that individual talent will be rewarded, regardless of where one comes from or who one’s parents are. But the reality of what transpires along America’s K-12-to-career pipeline reveals a sorting of America’s most talented youth by affluence—not merit. Among the affluent, a kindergartner with test scores in the bottom half has a 7 in 10 chance of reaching high SES among his or her peers as a young adult, while a disadvantaged kindergartner with top-half test scores only has a 3 in 10 chance.
Disparities Are Prevalent in Kindergarten
Environmental disparities in measures of children’s achievement are evident even from an early age. Only about one quarter of lowest-SES kindergartners have top-half math scores, compared to about three quarters of highest-SES kindergartners.

People of all abilities and backgrounds stumble throughout their academic journeys. But advantaged students have safety nets to keep them on track. Because less-advantaged peers do not, they are more likely to fall behind and stay behind. Among children who show similar academic potential in kindergarten, the test scores of economically disadvantaged students are more likely to decline and stay low during elementary, middle, and high school than the test scores of their high-SES peers.

Among highest-SES kindergartners, 74 percent start out and stay in the top half of math scores through the eighth grade, compared to 30 percent of students from the lowest SES quartile. However, for those highest-SES children whose scores do fall, more than half return to the top half again by the eighth grade. In all, only 12 percent of highest-SES kindergartners with top-half math scores have bottom-half math scores in eighth grade, compared to 49 percent of lowest-SES children.
Source: Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce analysis of Early Childhood Longitudinal Study Kindergarten (public use data), 2006.
Gaps in Student Success Vary by Race
The gap in student success also varies by race. Black (51%) and Latino (46%) tenth graders with top-half math scores are more likely to earn a college degree within 10 years than their peers with bottom-half math scores (23% and 22%, respectively). But, they are still less likely to earn a college degree than White (62%) and Asian (69%) tenth graders with top-half scores.

The disparities in immediate college enrollment are jarring for tenth graders with bottom-half math scores—54 percent of those who are lowest SES do not immediately enroll in any college, compared to 16 percent who are highest SES. Those who are highest SES are more likely to enroll in a four-year college (46%) than their lowest-SES counterparts (14%).
Family class plays a greater role than high school test scores in college attainment. The highest-SES students with bottom-half math scores are more likely to complete college degrees than the lowest-SES students with top-half math scores.

Read more at link

HippieChick58 9 Nov 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As far as I can tell, the system is rigged so that there is no manner in which those who have a calling can fulfill it unless they are either very lucky or extremely talented, or both. If the parents do not have the resources to allow the child to become what they can, then they fall into some group that spends its time not living to their fullest potential. Of course, the society is not set up for the functioning of merit, and the society does not benefit from what they could have produced, explained, or started as a business or enterprise. We all lose, but since the rich remain at the top and do not have to help anyone but themselves, then we get what we choose. At this point it seems to me that in order to succeed one has to be really stupid and allow the functioning of all else that is stupid, at least as far as politics are concerned.

Which is why things like programs at GM to hire more blacks and women did not always pan out for the lower SES people. My sister who went thru the apprenticeship program at GM to be a tool and die maker tells the story of a black man who also entered the program and he did not do the work and flunked out.
Thing is we both went to the same elementary and high school. She always aced the math, I struggled, I never knew why and not one teacher ever took the time to try and figure out why one twin is so good at math and the other can never get the right answer. I loved algebra but could not figure out why my answers were wrong. Had I decided to apply for that program I would have flunked out too. Thing is with her bias she thinks he was just lazy and just expected the job to be handed to him without doing the work. The trope most commonly used against black people in this country by many whites.
They may have abolish the separate but equal thing a while back but money still talks and bullshit walks.
With the intimidation we see at board meetings I do not hold out hope that things in this country will improve.

Yup..and Amurikkka has no class separation..🙄🙄

I suspected this to be true in our school systems, so it's interesting to see if borne out in the study. More and more we're finding documented evidence that money and social class play a greater part in success in America than simply hard work.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:633696
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.