Agnostic.com

4 2

LINK This state won’t extend Medicaid benefits to elderly nuns

I don't see why they would get benefits, let the church pay for their medical care.

HippieChick58 9 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Like it or not if they qualify as do other people they should recieve the benefit even if the church ignored their duty.To deny them isn't any different than the republicans denying others.

Not sure what state this is but in NO medicaid is income based. If you have no expenses but no medical insurance and no income how could you be denied. I could see how you wouldn't be eligible for other benefits like foodstamp or cash benefits but don't understand how medicaid could be denied.

It is Nebraska. THe article mentions a patrimony account that could be accessed but they feel it violates their vow of poverty. I had a friend that had to spend down to get medicaid when he was diagnosed with cancer. I think they should use that money too

@btroje there is spend down in NJ too. Every state has different rules and different spend down and resource limits.

I'm torn here too. They made a choice, apparently one that will help them get to heaven sooner. On the other hand, I would rather see tax money spent on medical care for the elderly than on cruise missiles.

Another thought is that the Catholic church runs a hell of a lot of American hospitals. Can't they take care of their own?

JimG Level 8 Apr 21, 2018

That is my feeling. This is taking place in my state, Nebraska. Catholic Health Initiatives CHI is big here. Why doesn't CHI take over their care?

But then they would have to forsake their vow of poverty which, is freedom of religion. But, it was their choice to vow poverty, and so, they may be paying the consequence. My good side wants their healthcare needs to be met. My not so nice side wants them to pay the price for what I feel is a ridiculous life choice. But who am I to judge another?

That is kinda where I am at, however as rich as the church is, why aren't they providing health care?

@HippieChick58 As I understood the article, there is a fund for them for healthcare, but they have to give up their vows to use it. It's ridiculous.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:63411
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.