Agnostic.com

2 6

LINK Indicted GOP Congressman Says the Feds Got Him on Tape—Twice

That’s the news from a recent filing in federal court in the case against indicted Rep. Jeff Fortenberry (R-NE), whose defense team acknowledged that the government made at least two recordings of the sitting congressman over the course of its investigation surrounding illicit campaign contributions from a Nigerian-Lebanese billionaire.

snytiger6 9 Nov 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Decent people are tough to get elected, and not many want to be involved with all the butt kissing and lying required to get elected.

How delicious! Does anyone believe it's possible to have corruption-free government?

Highly doubtful that will come to pass with so many cry baby Repubs out there.

Only with a Constitutional re-write.

@racocn8 I've thought about this (not being versed in Constitutional law)...would it be appropriate to try an amendment mandating ethical conduct? Could we get ANY representative to vote ''yes'' on that? Or would they be too busy covering their asses to give it a moment's attention?

Of course it's unlikely to get anything done currently. Plainly corruption is the primary challenge to functionality, and we've seen corruption in virtually every corner of government. So, how to do it? I like the idea of checks and balances, but I wonder if there shouldn't be separate entities attached to each branch tasked with checking on the other branches. Or...

We need to turn our moral social fabric upside-down and insist that leaders lead by example, and have the legal machinery in place to require that only scrupulously moral and ethical people are allowed into public service and into corporate rule. It should be a crime to behave unethically, and those that do so, like the insurrection clause, be forbidden and exiled from high office.

@racocn8 First, they need to establish STANDARDS OF CONDUCT and then, every elected representative needs to swear to uphold them!

@LucyLoohoo in today's world we need to worry about whose standards they would choose. Most of them would look to Christianity for a blueprint.

@Lorajay HAH! Loraj....the ''no adultery'' part might be a real hindrance, don't you think? πŸ™‚

@LucyLoohoo I've never seen anything hinder that lately.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:634585
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.