Agnostic.com

7 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Here's the way I see it folks. If you are in business and do not want to bake any flowers for a gay couple they can go someplace else to get their flowers baked. Being in business does not mean I am obligated to serve you. Sorry. 🙂

Kim Davis is another issue, however, and Kim Davis was wrong. If you cannot issue the license you need to get another job.

Wrong. Businesses can't say they won't serve black people, right??

@JonnaBononna Is that a special law? A business owner reserves the right to refuse service, period. That refusal has no color code to it. You are thinking of food, hotel, motel, water fountains, etc. during Jim Crow times. That was a different thing.

@DenoPenno

[insureon.com]

When refusing a customer is illegal

There are many anti-discrimination laws at the federal, state, and local level. Chief among these is the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which forbids discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin in public accommodations.

Under Title VII of that federal law, no business is allowed to turn away a customer based on their status as a member of one of these protected classes. Based on recent court rulings, sexual orientation and gender identity are now also federally protected classes.

State laws and local governments may further extend protection to people based on their genetic information or political affiliation.

A well-known example is the case of a Colorado baker whom, based on his religious beliefs, refused to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple. At the time, the federal Civil Rights Act didn’t protect people on the basis of sexual orientation, though Colorado’s anti-discrimination laws did.

In 2018, the Supreme Court narrowly ruled for the baker, but that decision did not prevent courts from ruling in favor of legal protections for gay people in the future. In 2020, the Supreme Court did provide extended Title VII protections to the LGBTQ community.

Federal law offers additional protection against discrimination through the Americans with Disabilities Act. That law prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities when it comes to employment, transportation, and public accommodations. Places of public accommodation include stores, theaters, restaurants, hotels, daycare centers, gas stations, and doctors' offices.

Bottom line: when a business owner denies service to a customer simply because they belong to a specific group or category, it may violate the law.

@JonnaBononna What you are posting here is correct. The key to understanding it is in your "bottom line" ending. Belonging to a specific group or category. This takes it out of the me vs. them area and makes it about protecting YOU. I never intended my take on this to mean is is OK to discriminate against gays or blacks. My meaning is that the business owner has rights to refuse service. I did not mean rights to discriminate. My ex wife is a black woman. Why would I think you can discriminate?

@DenoPenno you said businesses have the right to refuse service. If they are refusing service because they are gay, it's discrimination, and illegal.

@JonnaBononna I tried to cover this above and say that I was wrong or taken wrong. I am NOT telling you a business has a right to refuse services to gay people. I never said that. I'm sure we can both think up some reasons a business could refuse service and even tell you that you have to leave, but being gay or being black are not in that list.

Better late than never. Of course the settlement should have been more.

No. The Supreme Court is very reluctant to take up cases. If that gay couple wanted flowers, they could have went to another florist. This is a huge overreach of the government making her pay a fine.

Reading is fundamental.

@JonnaBononna I did and so is constitution and individual liberty

@Heavykevy1985 if you read it, you'd know the government was not involved in this payment. It was an agreement between the parties involved.

@JonnaBononna yeah, the store owner settled to avoid litigation because a court previously ruled against them and the Supreme Court refuse to hear it

@Heavykevy1985 when the supreme court refuses to hear a case, it's because the lower court's decision was correct.

@JonnaBononna no, because the Supreme Court is often reluctant to take up cases. It is hard to get a case to go up the Supreme Court

@Heavykevy1985 its hard because they often don't feel the need to weigh in because the lower court made a correct ruling. They don't refuse just for the fuck of it. They refuse because there isn't a need for them to hear the case.

@JonnaBononna no they refuse to check it because they have a full docket and such cases could have wide-reaching implications. If you think that the government should interfere with businesses that want to do decide who they serve or not, you are an authoritarian

She got off easy, only paying 5K. Should have been 50K minimum.

Basically she got off light. Wonder how much her legal bills cost. Maybe she'll think twice next time (or go out of business).

Too bad it took so long, and the settlement wasn't bigger.
Horrible woman.

They should tack on another 3 zeros. Even that’s inadequate for this.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:634738
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.