Agnostic.com

14 1

If you have the choice to eat ORGANIC would you? Meaning all the time?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Organic is a buzz word. It's a marketing gimmick. It's no better or worse than common food products and in some cases environmentally worse because they require more fertilizer and pesticide

Definitely yes-but could I afford it?

Can you afford healthcare ??

I'm getting my healthcare via Medicare and Medicaid-Obamacare paid to keep me alive through chemo and radiation for 2 years before that-no can't afford healthcare as cancer survivor.

Yes. If I could also afford it. Organic food provide more nutrients, and tastes better. We grow some things ourselves and there is a world of difference between a store bought grovery store tomato and one out of the garden.

GMO is a new thing..and no we have not been genetically modifying food for thousands of years..cross breeding is not modifying...gmos are made in a lab and are created by inserting virus..bacteria..or even dna from completely different species inside the host species...of plant or animal...it can't take place in nature at all..it is playing Frankenstein with food and nature...there are thousands of studies from other countries that have deemed gmos dangerous to human health and our environment..that is why over 60 countries ban them from the market...but here in the USA we allow them due to greed and corruption..payoffs and a monopoly on food production..MONSANTO wants to control all the food...

2nd part of the question...Do you know what GMO stands for? And why it is truly devastating to our future and environment?

Ok...

Sure! If it was available, of good quality, and cost was not an impediment.

Zster Level 8 Dec 3, 2017

How much does healthcare cost??

You raise a valid point. Mine just went WAY up with our company changing our insurance.

(Not trying to be mean or controlling to this post). No...Why?. As a human depending on progress. I think we need to explore better ways to cultivate food. Someday we will have learned how not to use pesticides and still grow large quantities of food that will take care of itself untill harvest.

That seriously makes zero sense...using CHEMICALS to create food..is against the laws of nature and will be the reason HUMANITY goes extinct

Actually, if it says "organic" or "non-GMO," I WON'T buy it.

That's pretty IGNORANT..so you want to destroy your immune system?

What do you mean by "Organic"? It seams to mean something different to everyone.

ORGANIC means non gmo and naturally produced foods..

Yes, I would prefer to grow it myself.

MoniB Level 6 Dec 3, 2017

It would be nice to grow all our own food

I use to work at a mom and pop type garden center. We had 17 raised gardens. Every season I was in charge of them. Loved every minute of it. Plus free veggies and fruits.

Organic is such a joke that it's not worth it. The only difference between organic and regular food is that organic uses less pesticides. Which means bugs eat half the crop. That is the reason that organic is twice the price of regular food but there is no other significant difference. It's not healthier and it is not better for you in any way shape or form. And this information is coming from people that work at organic valley, which is a major organic food company in Wisconsin.

The main factor in eating organic is that you are not Consuming GMO..GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISMS..which you can bet are reeking havoc on your immune system and alter your DNA...wake up to reality..and what the cost of consuming altered foods truly is...

If you think you're not eating genetically altered food even with Organic then you're sorely mistaken. Do you not think that the seeds that they grow it from were not genetically altered at some point in time? Everything's been genetically altered.

Define "Organic" - I don't buy the hype.

As a scientist I'm skeptical of the word "organic".

Your are seriously ignorant if you don't know the difference

Sure, if it cost the same as the non-organic. Is there non-organic?

GMO is a new thing..and no we have not been genetically modifying food for thousands of years..cross breeding is not modifying...gmos are made in a lab and are created by inserting virus..bacteria..or even dna from completely different species inside the host species...of plant or animal...it can't take place in nature at all..it is playing Frankenstein with food and nature...there are thousands of studies from other countries that have deemed gmos dangerous to human health and our environment..that is why over 60 countries ban them from the market...but here in the USA we allow them due to greed and corruption..payoffs and a monopoly on food production..MONSANTO wants to control all the food...

No, organic is mostly a marketing gimmick. I saw an ad once for "organic salt." Oy! The so-called organic fertilizers and herbicides and pesticides can be as toxic, or even more so, as the non-organic varieties, sometimes due to the quantity required. If I want to make sure I'm eating as healthily as possible, I'm best off growing my own food and buying locally sourced produce where I can see the agricultural process for myself. But, for the most part, I'm unconcerned with these things. I don't think my health is in serious jeopardy.

Your thinking is flawed

Toxic substances are allowed in organic farming:
[acsh.org]

No evidence GMOs are harmful:
[geneticliteracyproject.org]
[slate.com]

Falling victim to the naturalistic fallacy:
[scientificamerican.com]

@resserts That second article is trash. He admits there are valid concerns including: "herbicides, monocultures, and patents. But none of these concerns is fundamentally about genetic engineering. Genetic engineering isn’t a thing."

It reduces it to an issue of naming, and proceeds strawman thusly ad nauseum.

Here we go, go one more time. Its not the gene in the plant its the poison they've made the plant immune to. Okay. One more time. I don't give a wit about what genes I eat. Glyphosate is ubiquitous, poisonous and proprietary. And moncultures and patents.

@BenPike So called organic fertilizers can be just as harmful, which is why I pointed out that growing your own food and finding locally sourced produce is your best bet. But believe whatever you like. It really doesn't impact me in the least.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6353
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.