Agnostic.com

1 2

LINK Head of New Mexico Child Support Agency Asks State to Stop Intercepting Payments to Poor Families — ProPublica

The head of New Mexico’s child support enforcement agency this week called for the state to end its practice of intercepting child support payments and tax refunds headed to poor mothers and children — which the state claims as repayment to the government for welfare the moms received in the past — a practice revealed by ProPublica in an investigation this fall.
Get Our Top Investigations

Subscribe to the Big Story newsletter.
Email address:

Betina McCracken, acting director of the New Mexico Child Support Enforcement Division, penned an op-ed Wednesday in the Santa Fe New Mexican that presses the state Legislature to let as much as $6.9 million a year in child support collected from fathers flow directly to their families instead of diverting it into government coffers.

The op-ed, co-authored by Kari Armijo, deputy Cabinet secretary of the state’s Human Services Department, argues that the Legislature should provide more funding to the agency so that it doesn’t have to balance its budget on the backs of poor parents — like Amberly Sanchez, whose story ProPublica highlighted in September.

snytiger6 9 Dec 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That is an interesting story. Let me share my experience here.

I was ordered to pay all child support and back child support to a state agency in my state capitol. This was the Child Support Enforcement Division and the interest on the money made it almost impossible to ever break even. Yes, there was years I did not pay and my children were grown at the time. I went to the county seat where the divorce was granted and told the prosecuting attorney of my hardship in doing this. He presented it all to the judge that granted the divorce in the first place. That judge ordered and decreed that all money owed in my case would be paid interest free to the clerk of the circuit court. The Child Support Enforcement Agency hated me for this. The circuit judge granting the order said that he did this to end the case and get it off the books and that it was the right thing to do.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:637560
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.