Agnostic.com

5 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It was the early 80's. I saw an article in Ms. magazine highlighting Gloria Steinem and the equal rights amendment. It mentioned that LDS women were against it because women were supposed to work towards "maintaining the home" (or some bullshit like that). So, I began to question the faith that I was brought up in. My immediate family had already started to fade off, so it wasn't that hard to quit attending. But, ours was the first family unit that left the church. Most of my extended relatives are all still active Mormons.

@oc_gen do the Mormons lose a lot of people?

@Bigwavedave in my own, large extended family, (just the Mormon side), I would say that about 5% have officially "left", and maybe 10% more would be considered "inactive" by the church. That is, they don't attend and have not officially disassociated, as I have done. I think most people just fade away and the church still claims them and calls them "inactive". Therein lies the problem. That's why they claim the right to continue to proselytize - they want to win their members back. Good Mormon members pay 10% tithes. Have you SEEN Mormon temples??

I quit going to church at 14, and quit believing in my 20s having reached the age of reason.

It has been that way throughout history

Yes, they should have all prayed harder. Maybe jump up in the air and try to grab that power of god.

No, is anyone surprised at all?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:637759
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.