Agnostic.com

5 18

More good news.

What’s Your Religion? In U.S., a Common Reply Is Now “None”

… the religiously unaffiliated — the fastest-growing group in surveys asking Americans about their religious identity. They describe themselves as atheists, agnostics, or “nothing in particular.”

According to a survey released Tuesday by the Pew Research Center, this group — commonly known as the “nones” — now constitutes 29% of American adults. That’s up from 23% in 2016 and 19% in 2011.

[apnews.com]

Apunzelle 7 Dec 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I look forward to the day when then Nones reach over 50%. 🙂

The impression that survey numbers like these give can be very misleading. It depends on how the questions were asked.

This article leaves the impression that these changes are best characterized as a movement away from organized religion and toward disorganized religion. What could possibly go wrong?

Some snippets typifying the article:

“After leaving her New Jersey church three years ago, she identified as atheist, then agnostic, before embracing a spiritual but not religious life. In her dorm, she blends rituals at an altar, chanting Buddhist, Taoist and Hindu mantras and paying homage to her ancestors as she meditates and prays.”

“30% say they feel some connection to God or a higher power, and 19% say religion has some importance to them even though they have no religious affiliation.
About 12% describe themselves as religious and spiritual and 28% as spiritual but not religious.”

“30% of nones meditate and 26% pray privately at least a few times a month, while smaller numbers consult periodically with a religious or spiritual leader.”

“There are people who do actually practice, either in a particular faith tradition that we would recognize, or in multiple faith traditions,” Drescher said.”

“Spirituality is a soul-based journey into the heart, surrendering one’s ego will to a higher will.”

“he says his spiritual practice has replaced his anxieties with a “gentle joy” and a desire to help others.”

“now runs a school teaching qigong, a practice that evolved from China combining slow, relaxed movement with breathing exercises and meditation.”

“My higher power is the universe... It’s always there for me, if I can get out of my ego’s way.”

skado Level 9 Dec 14, 2021

I'm a none. If you ask lots of people you sometimes find a person waving their arms like they are conducting an orchestra while searching for words to answer you. Then you hear "well, I believe in something."

I'm recruiting ...

When its 100% it will be a better world.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:639338
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.