Agnostic.com

3 3

We are about to celebrate a historic date, December 25th 1991. The fall of the Soviet Union. Where were you on that date? I remember very distinctly where I was. [npr.org]. Question is, are we next?

JackPedigo 9 Dec 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In the US in the grinder of corporate world not knowing where the world was and where it was going. I was wrapped in Monday to Friday. I free of it now.

The US will not fall apart but will be controlled by the conservatives and be less progressive.

But it cannot last. The conservatives are and have always been even more clueless than liberals.

I believe you are wrong. Protofascists like the elites who are actively seeking to end what was always a specious corrupt binary political party pseudo democracy in the US, can never stop at just being 'less progressive'. The fascist DNA will always propel towards control, suppression and authoritarianism in all things: political, social, cultural, and economic. This can only produce counter movements, and a country wracked by internal dissent and division only goes one way -- downhill. The time may come when you may wish that the dreaded progressives that you have spent your life denigrating had prevailed and modernised America along progressive political and economic policies. You may not have many years before that regret becomes apparent. The crumbling of America is happening in real time. It will become inexorable after the next mid term elections, unless Americans grow a brain and vote against the fascist Republican party in a landslide. No informed person can reasonably expect that to happen given US voting patterns.

@David1955

What timeline you are implying here for America to regret destruction and miss progressives? I am talking about just the next 20 years. Who knows what will happen after 100?

My point was not about if progressives are good or not, I was saying Democrats has had lousy leaderships while the conservatives are aggressive, motivated, strong and united. The good does not win often as we all now and the game of politics requires a lot of non-righteous skills. I have not seen Democrats have it. We continue to pride in goodness in politics which baffles me.

@St-Sinner if what I fear transpires over the next few years it won't matter. The US will cross a line that only civil war and struggle can correct, and it'll be too late. I don't like your democratic party much either. Many parts are corrupt, corporately linked and as bad as the other party. But within it are people who are on the right side of history and given a chance to reform your corrupt political, financial, legal, electoral and other systems the US might have a chance. Having said that, the momentum of history, I believe, has turned against America. Capitalism has globalised and left America weaker, and you don't have the structures to respond and reform. As psychologically impaired people do, the country has regressed into a toxic form of its mythology, yearning back to a mythological golden age, lost in fantasy, unable to deal with realities of this century. It happens to all empires. With the US it has happened relatively quickly, because everything now happens at a faster pace.

I'm afraid that's almost unavoidable and Putin heavily suspects it.

Yes, when the US 'won' the cold war. It's so much better now, with the ruling class of America, as effectuated by its Republican Party, sucking up to the Soviet Union's leftovers like Vlad Putin and his oligarchs. A day to remember. The phyrric victory of 1991. These days it's another country that is falling, before our eyes.

The old trope about communists buying the rope with which to hang the capitalists is coming true. Ah, but they made a profit; that's what counts.

Funny, we thought we were superior when the Russians had to leave Afghanistan. Yet, we ended up making exactly the same mistake. Problem is, no form of government can handle the diversity and numbers that many countries are experiencing today. Fascism and communism are much better at this than democracy.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:641257
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.