Agnostic.com

11 2

Should I give to Goodwill?

I lost enough wight that I've gone from a 36 inch waist to a 32. Now I have a bunch of clothes I can't wear anymore. I'm thinking of giving to Goodwill, because I prefer not to give to thSalvation Army or any other religion based organization. I'm not sure about Goodwill, though.

Any opinions?

MrLizard 8 Apr 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are many charity thrift stores. When in Los Angeles, I game to the Out Of The Closet thrift stores, where all the money went to benefit AIDS organizations an research.

To find out what charity thrift store are near you, just Google "charity thrift store" with your zip sode. You may find a worthy cause you liek better than Goodwill.

@MrLizard I remember Out of the Closet started in the Silberlake area of Los Angeles, but spread and grew quickly. I had no idea they made it all the way out to FL.

Then again, I could see them focusing on areas with larger gay populations, like Key West. Still we dotn' have one in Portland (Or) yet.

@MrLizard I've never been to Florida. There is a part of me that wants to visit the nude beaches there, as i am a nudist, but then again there are also alligators.

@MrLizard I woudl think they'd prefer their food not to be clothed.

I think I am overly cautious about animals (or insects/arachnids)) that can kill people

@MrLizard I am partially (legally) blind, so my worries are nto wholly irrational or anything. I honestly dont' think I'd notice them until they were way too close.

Religion is not a bad thing in itself. There is, and always has been much good done by religious orgainizations. What would the world be like without Notre Dame cathedral and the works of Micaelangelo and Titian?! Goodwill and the Salvation Army provide valuable services all over the world. They don't ask you to join them like TV Evangalists! Unlike those parasites who pray on ignorant people in fear for their "souls", they were formed and operated out of altruism. I don't think you have any cause to consider yourself a hypocrite if you donate to them!

Doing good is still good! Goodwill is doing very good, good.

It would be goodwill if you gave to Goodwill. I believe good will come of it if you do.

It doesn't matter to me whether the depository is affiliated or not. I live near a St. Vincent DePaul store. It's convenient and it's tax deductable.

RichE Level 5 Apr 22, 2018

By all means... give them to goodwill.

clothes keep poor people warm so don't worry about who you keep warm.

If you have dress clothes, see if there is a local organization that serves the homeless/destitute in locating jobs & housing. They need dress clothes for jobs/interviews. They may also need casual clothes as well. No harm in asking.

Keep in mind a lot of organizations have religious ties but many are doing good work that secular organizations are not able or willing to do.

OMG. What a cynic!

@fishline79 not a cynic, just speaking from experience from the area in which I reside.

I give to Goodwill and on the plus side it's a tax write off.

ebdb Level 7 Apr 22, 2018

better than the trash

Goodwill has a reputation for not paying their workers fairly and the CEO lives a pretty cushy life. My suggestion is a google search of organizations in your area that accept donations of clothing for refugees or poor, or otherwise disadvantaged. There are a few in my area that are not connected to any church.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:64166
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.