Agnostic.com

9 7

In my travels many places in the world, I've been repeatedly surprised at how relatively free some people are. Then, when I return back to the U.S., I never fail to register a certain amount of shock at how sexually repressed my own people are. Where the hell did that come from? Is religion the chief source of all that guilt and repression? I appreciate this young lady for sharing her fear of going topless where men are topless.
[medium.com]

mischl 8 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In my view, religion and rules by elders are two major causes. Both make silly customs and traditions according their sense of right and wrong then and refuse to accept that times, people, values, taboos and worldviews change. But they don't want to change themselves nor want others to in the name of good values. It is like a grandma saying what the girls of today are wearing is just shocking.

My ex had a very strong sense of the good girl syndrome. Sex is only for making babies. She never wore a skirt or shorts. Windows had to be closed at all times. They make good mothers, sisters, daughters but not wives.

Agree 1,000%

I don't see any topless men in that picture.

The male breast has not been made illegitimate or shameful as has the female breast. Which is the whole point of Sarah Stroh's blog post.

@mischl I don't think the female breast has been made illegitimate or shameful, I think it has been sexualized even though its fundamental purpose is biological.

@LovinLarge It is against the laws in many places in the U.S. for women to expose their breasts. That simple indisputable fact is the point of the writer's post.

@mischl This article says 33 states allow it, but I did not fact check it. I am saying that the motivation for the double standard is the sexualization of women's breasts, and I make this point because getting to the "why" might help us solve the problem.

[therichest.com]

@LovinLarge lt is called male biology and the way most men are wired. There is nothing wrong with sex or sexual desires. The taboo of sex and the idea it is dirty is societal. The way men feel about women and sex is not going to change no matter how hard some women would like it to change. They way some men feel women are inferior or should be submissive to men is also societal. And that should and must change.

@Sticks48 If that were true, the sexualization of female breasts would be universal among cis men and that is not my observation. I have known many men who recognize that the sexualization of things and places that are not inherently sexual is an affront to gender equality.

Men are even more stigmatized than women, if that's possible. Normal instincts are condemned as evil.
I wonder if that has anything to do with the level of sexual deviancy, sex crimes, etc., wherein the normal is discouraged, so the abnormal is turned to, since the urge itself is impossible to suppress for long...

Totally agree, women need to stop raping men.

@SnowyOwl Is that a joke, or a slam? If the latter, I wasn't talking about women at all, in case I somehow gave you that mistaken impression.
I simply was saying it's possible ONE of the reasons some men develop extremely unhealthy sexual pathologies is our culture's pathologically negative attitude regarding sex in general. Not to excuse it, and not to say it's the ONLY reason (sexual abuse, or witnessing or experiencing domestic violence, or a criminally amoral profit motive, etc.), just one factor. I certainly wasn't trivializing what I know is a very complicated issue.

Normal instincts are considered evil is true in conservatives societies and to my surprise in the US too. Western Europe is more open.

@St-Sinner I'd say the U.S. is extremely schizophrenic when it comes to sex and everything else. A theocracy is right around the corner, and when it's in place the conservatives will have achieved the upper hand, one they will never again in our lifetimes give up.

Religion is behind it, she is gorgeous

Do you equally admire these topless women? The image you shared does not approach the “average” woman in your age range.

Well they both seem to have health issues, the guy on the left needs to sort out his issues with overeating and the gal on the right needs to start eating.

"Admire" is not applicable for me. I've seen plenty of naked women of all body shapes among the clothing free beaches and parks in several countries, and I've been a member of two naturist clubs in the U.S. It is OKAY for you to want to play naked in the sun even if you're not movie star material. And frankly, I DO admire people who've been disfigured in one way or another, who manage to overcome their own body shaming and enjoy some time in the sun.

@SnowyOwl They are both females.

@MsKathleen Everything is so gender fluid that it's hard to tell anymore.

@mischl I changed it to “appreciate”…your word. “appreciate this young lady for sharing her fear of going topless where men are topless”. My point was that your example was a “perfect-figure” young woman less than half your age. If you don’t “appreciate” all ages and body types, you’re lying to yourself about what it is you “appreciate”.

@MsKathleen Half my age? Au contraire. She is about one fourth my age. But my poster girl aside, one of the nicest ladies in my naturist club is old, wrinkled, with flabby boobs and nips that hang down to her waist. She's my favorite woman of the group. She's wise, irreverent, very friendly, and has got her shit together. She completely understands men, and I'm sure she's sampled more than her share. She's well traveled and well educated. We often sit together and swap stories and dirty jokes. She would probably let me post a nude of her on this site, but I imagine most people wouldn't properly appreciate it.

The Puritan streak runs deep….the Mayflower brought the first ones and established a base of prudery which spread from Plymouth Rock to infest the whole country.

There is an organization, l can't remember the name who just published a report ranking countries based on the freedoms provide or allowed,by each country. The United States didn't crack the top 50. As usual, it was the Nordic countries at or near the top of the list. The same as in the results of the countries where the populations are the happiest, where the U.S. never cracks the top 15.

Yes, I recall reading material like that. I'd love to find that information again.

We overturned those discriminatory laws in Canada several decades ago but changing the mindset of the people takes more than changing a few repressive laws against women's breasts. Breatfeeding in public is now considered normal and without sexual connotations but even this took time for people to get their head around and yes it was mainly the religious types with their misogynistic attitudes that caused all the fuss.

I have to use my imagination to try to appreciate the "shock" of seeing a naked breast. Because I've seen thousands. And I'm not exaggerating. I overcame my Baptist-repressed childhood so long ago. Of course, by now that conditioning has been pushed largely out of my mind.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:642648
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.