Agnostic.com

8 1

How many wpm can you type ?

This Keyboard Lets People Type So Fast It’s Banned From Typing Competitions

A new peripheral lets you keep typing without ever lifting a finger. When it comes to gaming and typing competitions, is it cheating?

[vice.com]

FearlessFly 9 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can type almost as fast as I can spell, do with that what you will.

Depends on how many mistakes you want! I haven't timed myself since high school, but I'm sure I'm faster than I was back then on first the manual and then selectric typewriters, where I had to use a lot of correction tape!

I don't have any comment about whether it would be considered cheating, except that maybe there should be divisions on the various equipment used in the typing competitions. I know nothing about gaming, but I'd guess such a fast keyboard would be an advantage.

In which language? We did not learn to type in high school. My school was a prep school, and we were told that we would have secretaries for that task. (Crazy giggles and laughs)
I taught myself typing with Mavis Beacon but did not get very far. My 12 -year old granddaughter types better and faster than I do.
And translating on the fly, my superpower, has also lost its glamor. Google Translate does a wonderful job.

My experience was even worse than that, I would have loved to learn typing a school, (Sixties early seventies.) but we were told by our (Christian of course.) headmaster that, typing was for girls only.
He also closed down the agriculture and rural studies section of the school, because to his mind there was no use in the modern world for all that, what we would now call "green" or environmental stuff.

@Fernapple Oh, I bet they would have used the boy/girl argument as well, but we were an all-girls school. And there had never been horticulture in that school, not even how to burn red brick. The buildings were red brick, in the style of Oxford.

If I typed faster, I would have to find another way to waste time after I was done on here. What's the good of that ?

Pretty good - low 60s when I get cranking. I had to learn in the Navy, the old fashioned way, "AQAZ forever."

Not competitive - that's some crazy shit. Secretaries I knew averaged 120 or so.

About 60 wpm.
My 15 year old son can type 155 wpm.

BD66 Level 8 Jan 6, 2022

Never measured really... I type with only 2 fingers, never learned keyboarding but I am fast, have typed plenty in 29 years since. I had never seen a computer until I was 33, I was in a graduate school at 34 when I took the first computer class called - Lotus 123. Unlikely that I'll learn keyboarding going forward. What I have is working well. 😟

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:643553
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.