Agnostic.com

4 1

Time travel fantasy question

If you were given a time machine that was able to make a single, one way trip back in time, which date would you travel to and why?

1. You can only go backwards in time, not forwards.
  2. You can only travel once.
  3. You can never come back.
KarlHannah 5 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

April 17th, one day before my real birthday. I have no romantic notions about the past.

To proof a point.... 3000 rounds for a couple uzis, AR15, a few granades, plus tear gas and few masks and a first aid kit. And what nobody ever goes in time for... in time to stop the Torture and Cruxifiction of an individual named jesus. Bite Me.

It would have to be Paris and I guess I'd want to land around 1899 for Belle Epoch and then be there for the 20's. Can I also pick an age I'd want to be? If so 25. And can I pick a profession? Writer/artist so I could hang out with that group. Can you imagine all of the artists and writers that were there from world wide!

You must see the movie Midnight in Paris. To be around the era of Gaugin, Matisse, Seurat, Van Goh, Lautrec, Renoir and so many other Great Painters has to be a great time, listening to their conversations and arguments Modernism.

@GipsyOfNewSpain I have seen that movie at least 6 times. I thought Woody Allen did a great job in casting the artists and writers. He even nailed it with Hemingway's speech cadence and I loved Dali and also Gil's reference to Bunel for filmmaking. And the little inside comments such as when Gil realized he had been dancing with Djuna Barnes he comments "oh that's why she was leading"

@AmelieMatisse And the lead did such a great imitation of the unsecured woody we all know! It was a slice of greatness and how everyone wishes to be somewhere else in another time more to their liking. Plus showed us what will really happen once you get there.... the private detective being chased in the court of Louis XV. We are trapped here in the Now, where we belong for a reason, but you sure picked the right time and place to be as far my book says.

@GipsyOfNewSpain, thanks! Too bad Kiki didn't show up in the film. I've been thinking a lot of the idea that historic memory shows up in our DNA and this is why we are how we are. I think I'll post that as a question on this site. I'd love feedback on that idea.

@AmelieMatisse Back in my college days remenber reading about memory chromosomes and because of that in an ancestor been part of a historic event, you may dream about it. One example given was a woman dreaming attending Lincoln's Funeral. She was born decades after the event but her grandfather attended the funeral as a young man. Sometimes we pass abilities or predisposition to our children. There was a lot of lefthanded in my family, my mother was forced to become righthanded. I still became a lefty like my grandma.

@GipsyOfNewSpain I really believe there is a lot to the DNA memory theory. And it certainly would play strongly into dream life since your guard is down in this time period. I'm a lefty also and it came from my grandmother

@AmelieMatisse Oh yes, there a lot of us in our kids, as a matter of fact I see a grandchild taking advantage of all the songs and poems I wrote. I wish I could talk to my grandmother now, wish I could had listen more. At youth my ex wife and me were the cool, popular kids. I always expected posibility but not likely of normal borderline dorks for children. My son is a dancer now with Sin City Salseros in Vega. My eldest had managed industrial metal band and play bass and guitar plus backing vocals in church, my middle daughter is the musician of the trio and write songs plus like me she draws and paints. She is bisexual and does not makes a difference to me. I can see myself in each of them. Mannerisms, how the brain is wired, etc. They are my kids. Funniest thing is a photo of my son dancing on stage sticking his son out... well there is a photo of me dancing salsa in DC and here it is sticking my tongue out. Memory DNA makes us inmortal in some way.

@GipsyOfNewSpain they are great remembrances to have. I wish I could speak with my elders from many generations back, perhaps I do in my dreams. My great great grandmother was Jewish, I always thought it was Askenazi but after DNA test it may be Sephardic from the generation before that. Also on my dad's side my great great grandfather was half Native American. I didn't know this until about 5 years ago. But all my life I've had the need to study Native American culture/beliefs/etc. My grandson is adopted so my DNA is probably at the end and that is a strange thought to have

Ancient Egypt (about 4-5,000 years ago).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:64400
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.