Agnostic.com

1 3

LINK To fight opioid crisis, UW researchers take new shot at developing vaccine against addictive drugs

COVID is of course a scourge, but it's not the only one we're facing.
It would sure be nice to find a prevention for drug addiction.

RichCC 8 Jan 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One can be addicted to things other than drugs. Addiction can be physical & mental. Gambling, sexual, shopping are mental disorders when done excessively. How does one discover if one has an addictive personality? I suppose as we now can look at the brain while it is reactive to these behaviors we could run tests. I have always been able to quit behaviors without a problem. Highly disciplined & cautious am I. Others are trying to subvert mental anguish thru artificial means. We have so many epidemics that some would just prefer to tear things down than find a solution to the problem. Finding an answer to drug addiction would be a positive method of addressing this issue, as the "war on drugs" has failed miserably with consequences impacting the entire world.

I am somewhat compulsive myself. I have no doubt that part of the reason I've avoided drug and alcohol problems is that I'm twisted enough that I cannot surrender control like that (as if of course I don't have plenty of other issues instead. Ha, ha.).

Semantics can be played at multiple levels.

• Does their vaccine stop people from getting addicted or recover from addiction?
  • Do you need a different vaccine for each individual drug -- nicotine vs heroin vs opiate for instance?
  • Does the vaccine stop the drugs from working? Do pain killers no longer kill pain?
  • As you mentioned, does the vaccine only affect drug addictions? Or does it work on purely psychological issues?

There are lots of questions. And at best I doubt they would be able to do more than create a tool that works on some things, some of the time.
Personally i hope it could add to our understanding of various processes and help some people along the way.🙂

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:644253
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.