Agnostic.com

11 1

Where does relationships with family stand when it comes to religion

What do you do or say when religion or lack of causes conflict within your family?

SherryClowdus 3 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Depends on if you are the type that can handle those serious differences without causing family problems or if it's a deal-killer. May have to be prepared to let it fracture the family.

Very few possess my lack of belief ,so if I let this become a conflict I wouldn’t have any relationships .

My three sisters and I grew up Roman Catholics. My mother still goes to church twice weekly, my father claims to be Christian, but hasn't gone to church for decades. One of my sisters and her husband have become Buddhists...I honestly don't know if (or how) faithful my other two sisters are. I am an Atheist...Everyone in my family respects the boundaries of each others personal space (including faith or not), and the subject never comes up in conversation.

About two years ago one of my daughter's called me a devil worshipper because she didn't care to hear what I believed in. This year she got baptized, goes to church and prays but today when I told her her name was on the oklahoma unclaimed property list this poor girl posted on Facebook that God is great and gave a house. The girl wouldn't listen to me telling her how the address they had was when the (under $100) unclaimed property accured. Her and her fb friends were praising Jesus, me and my other daughter are laughing are butts off! When she finally realized what id been telling her, she deleted the post! Maybe if she listened to her wise old mom more, she might learn something!!! lol

It depends on the individuals and the circumstances. It's something I play by ear whenever it crops up, which is thankfully not too often. I prefer to avoid conflict if at all possible and keep the importance of family firmly in place. Having said that, it is also true that there are some instances where severing the relationship is the most reasonable approach. I've had to do that twice -- and without regret.

it doesn't happen to me but if it did that stuff should be left out of family life I think.

Always firmly stand your ground especially when religious family members keep trying to manipulate you into their religion. Often it becomes a game with them, like they know you won't become religious but the game is usually trying to get you to pray or sing hymns. They've usually quite opportunistic and sneaky about it and in my experience they use dirty tricks like emotional blackmail threats slander and generally being totally disrespectful if they don't get their way. I don't know what it is but religion seems to turn good people into sociopaths narcissists and some even become rather psychotic, basically when they find that you seem too strong for them to push around it seems to become egg on their faces which is a big dent to their over inflated egos.

I haven't told my family yet. I only have family left on my dad's side and they are all religious. I only see them a couple of times a year at the most and as such we really don't discuss religion. It's more of enjoying being together. I do however think that if I ever told them, most would still love me as they do now although I'm sure they would worry about me and I don't see the point in doing that.

I know what the bible says the order of importance should be and disagree 100%. My family comes first. It always will. Most of my more distant family is religious. Most do not know of my disbelief. Most treat other family members with love and respect and do not discuss religion or politics, knowing that we can agree to disagree and still love each other.

For families that DO discuss and even disown over such differences... I am at a loss why any would choose such and what can be done about it. I am very sorry if you've been hurt this way. It's mind boggling!

Zster Level 8 Dec 3, 2017

Love your family, let them have their beliefs, and you have yours. When one is at peace they don’t need to let others know their come from. Steer clear of discussing things, very few can do that without trying to be right.

Most of my family is religious, but it doesn't come up all that often. It's generally respectful conversation, and I can speak my mind, but a few people can be rude and I've had to hold my ground and be more forceful to prevent them from steamrolling me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6443
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.