Agnostic.com

5 2

LINK What Is 'Love Bombing'?

Always suspicious of the love bomb.

Mooolah 8 Jan 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, as the recipient of "Love Bombing" many times during my turbulent relationship with a narcissist, these are the parts of the article that rang true for me:

"The person may be a narcissist trying to isolate you from the other connections in your life as a way of exerting control."

"One person tries to become the other’s whole world."

"...people who have been love bombed often feel as though they’ve lost their sense of self, which can take a long time to rebuild."

I can attest to all that. Yes, love bombing is a form of control, where the target has no energy for a life outside the drama the narcissist visits upon his victim.

My "love bomber" came back into my life after I had successfully rid myself of him, and it took some time to get him off that old habit of controlling me, so that we can try a far more hands off civil friendship. My life is so much happier with him only occupying a small fraction of my time. Even that is too much sometimes.

I thought it was farting during sex.

Here we call it smothering and it's the precursor to an abusive relationship. Smothering in itself involves a lack of respect for boundaries.

I've never heard the term used in this context, However when I was a Mormon stake missionary we were trained in the technique of Love bombing.
It is a method of preventing a possible apostate and of persuading doubting investigators to go that one last step and be baptised.
It begins with friend shipping, that is that the attentive missionaries who have been giving lessons introduce the investigator to an active Mormon family, one or more of whom share an interest with the investigator. There will be a period of the said family inviting the investigator to their home, and visiting him or her in their own home. This will be followed up with introductions to other members all of who will make the Investigator feel welcome and part of a community, until the at last succumb and agree to joint the church and be baptised, after which the love bombing trails off until unless there is a genuine friendship it stops all together. Single men are treated even more viciously and will be introduced to every single women in the ward or stake in search of a temple worthy priesthood holding husband, some times even to the point of marriage. Not surprising as it is an integral part of Mormon life that the only way to get in to heaven is to be married and be actively producing lots of little Mormons.
Love Bombing potential apostates pretty much follows the same pattern , only with every on reminding the subject just how super dupper great it is to be one of Gods chosen. Again especially so when the apostate is married and the other partner is not sure about leaving, they will actively try and break up the marriage in order not to lose both members, and will try to marry off the remainer to another active single Mormon, or try and blackmail the leaver in to staying so that they don't also lose their spouse, home and community.
It is a filthy way of behaving but that is Mormons for you.

All tax exempt. Let's start our own tax exempt org. Hmmm. What shall I call it. Congregation of the Holey Hoody. We could worship a cloth sweatshirt, with moth holes in it, mustard stains on it, & sell pieces to victims all at tax exempt profit. Think what we could do. Some believe in lizard people lurking inside of me.

@Mooolah
I always thought something like the Church of New Ending Messiahdom or CON'EM For short.

@LenHazell53 I was under the assertion that we could join an organization that is already active. The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I joined and am a pastor for the organization. Though I have no idea what to do with this other than just mentioning it occasionally, I thought it was a good idea just in case. In case of what I have no idea, but what the hell, thought it would be a good thing to do at the time and it is real and legal.

@dalefvictor A pastor for the FSM funny 😄😄😄

These physiologists just like the pharmaceuticals invent fancy words for normal behaviors that have existed for thousands for years and we don't learn from life, we need online news to learn life. That is the tragedy.

If people began observing and learning from life every day, they wouldn't need shallow online advice. Prudent people don't need online advice to live a good, wise life.

After spending a decade and half in colleges, living with multiple doctorates in family and after observing people over 50 years of grown up life, I have realized that a college degree is not equal to knowledge nor to wisdom. It is just books. That's all. Let's not confuse knowledge with degrees. Ask your grandma or an elder instead.

Well said.. Youth is wasted on the young. Some youth have a tendency to prefer to seek their own answers as opposed to finding them in the documented experience of others, orders from their parents, peer pressure, and now believing garbage on the internet machine. I used as many systems as one can imagine except for victim. Tho we all are victims of something, I tried to make some positive use to experiences. Living well is the best revenge. To do that one might learn from their elders & catapult themselves ahead of others who don't.. Learn from everything all the time. & prepare by paying attention in school except if one is ADHD which was unheard of years ago. Some may not have access to elders but there are always resources in libraries, online, & with peers.

@Mooolah
A friend of mine said his father who lived long and was successful said "living long ad outlasting others is the best revenge." That packs of lot of things and meaning of how to live a life (take care of health, avoid bad habits, avoid bad company, have resources, gather long experience, gather wisdom, overcome life's challenges, learn from early mistakes and avoid them, last for loved ones to help and take care etc.) I have told myself that not lasting long is a failure as a parent because I have known first hand what dying on children by not taking care of yourself feels like for all others. My father died at 51.

Therefore I say, life experiences with observations and lessons will help you, make you... not petty, shallow online, bookish advice.

If you want to really learn about life,... Travel

@Redneckliberal

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”

Mark Twain

@st-sinner and never the twain shall meet... As it always has been and shall continue

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:644534
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.