Agnostic.com

9 4

Has anyone got up and left a meeting while you spoke?

I don't beleive in bullying to get a point across. I had a different opinion of how to nurture and instruct a person on there addiction. 2 of my guy friends left while I was explaining my technique. Hmmm... arrogance and pride and ego. Its amazing how some act like they got an understanding of how to treat people and its just a mask theyre wearing. I don't believe in breaking a person down to bring them back up. Ive come to inderstand that some people have mental issues and need medicine other then a drill sergeant.

BucketlistBob 8 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, yes and yes. I have also had people come up after the meeting and tell me how much they appreciated what I said and that my words helped them. Who knows? What I do know is that other people's behavior isn't about me...I also am not an advocate of the beat 'em up method of delivering a message of recovery.

Susz Level 3 Apr 23, 2018

Well alrighty... good for you.

I've left when there is a particular person speaking who has the habit of "hijacking the meeting" by blathering on and on and not necessarily about the topic at hand either.

I didn't have a problem if someone went a little long occasionally if they have a good point to make.
Right now I'm thinking of a guy who showed up at nearly every meeting I went to, and every time it was blah, blah, blah.

It's a good time to go outside and grab a smoke. ?

Yeah buddy...

This is an opposite reaction. . . My wife and I were on a cruise, and were seated by the maitre d' at a random table for lunch. After introducing ourselves, one of the women at the table said "Why don't we all join hands and pray!" I said do it without me, and left the table until they were finished. I have wished, since then, that I said something stronger, like, "whatever you do in private is fine, but don't inflict it on me. . ." or, better, "OK, let's do that, then let's all masturbate together!"

My answer to the original question is yes, but I didn't know them and it didn't affect me. I believe your 2 friends need to learn that everyone is different and they need to be treated that way.

Thank you...

I've got up and left

Speak up...

This happened to me a while ago at my work. It was a meeting to prioritize the work my group did with representatives of the user and testing communities. The user representative was a plain old bully who liked to change the subject when challenged. I out-prepared her one time, and when she objected to decisions we had already just made at the meeting, I offered to reopen the discussions. She didn't like that, and walked out of the meeting in a huff. That's different than your situation, and for me it was very satisfying.

Good...

You could ask your friends why they left. Perhaps they thought that the individual receiving your intervention was under the influence or otherwise unable to benefit from what you were doing.

It was a mens meeting of about 30.

If they chose to be there and leave that becomes their problem >

This has happen to me many times and at first I took it personal but then realized there are many rude or they might be uninterested people.

Your friends were just plain rude. Unfortunately I have had this happen to me more than a few times.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:64542
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.