Agnostic.com

5 1

Are you a 'Super-Recognizer' ?

‘I’d keep it on the down low’: the secret life of a super-recogniser

Police employ them and scientists study them, but what is life like for the rare few who can never forget a face? Super-recogniser Yenny Seo didn’t think it was anything special

[theguardian.com]

FearlessFly 9 Jan 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have a photogenic memory: it looks good until question time.

In the 'bad' old days the priest of our church would walk down the aisle and shake people's hand and call them by name. When he came to someone he didn't know he would ask their name and remember it. Everyone was always amazed.
My late partner, a super extrovert, was also like this. To this day I am constantly meeting people that know me but I cannot remember them.

I think my ex-husband is one. He once took a test in which he scored at the 98th percentile for facial recognition. He can tell you who any actor is in a movie, even the most obscure bit part actors. I always thought it was a savant skill.

The link (agreement button) doesn't seem to work.

@Organist1 . . . happened to me too
. . . I then searched (in the page) for the word 'consent'
. . . In the "Consent Form" section (near the end), click on the box :
"I have read and understood the Information and Consent details above"

. . . enjoy 🙂

@FearlessFly Thanks!

The opposite of a "super-recognizer" is often someone with aphantasia.
This is the lack of the ability to create mental imagery. It tends to have a significant impact on the ability to recall faces until that face is extremely well known.

[en.wikipedia.org]

My son has prosopagnosia, the inability to recognize faces. He's on the autism spectrum. I have topographic agnosia, so everything looks similar to me. It's hard to get around, and a GPS is a must.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:645691
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.