Agnostic.com

10 4

As atheists, what do you think about this quote "This is not Christianity. Rather, it is an extreme Republican religionism that stands by party and regressive policy no matter what. It's not the gospel of Christ but a gospel of greed". Rev. William Barber II on Roy Moore.

Hugene2002 7 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If half of Republicans think the world is only 6000 years old, then this half has inheritance dose back to Egyptians debtor slaves. People are basically good, just many get hypnotized by organized superstition of crowd control for power.

Misguided Imagination can come off childish rather than advancing if not used god-like.

I think it is not only accurate about Moore but about most of the conservative Republicans in office right now.
They use a veneer of being good Christians to cover their greed and thirst for power.
For them, it's all about keeping the party intact with their good ole boys so they can operate with business as usual.

Yah… but whereas ‘mainstream christianity’ protects the often sick behavior of it’s local adherents, ‘political christianity’ attempts to anoint it’s chosen candidates with the same social immunity, because ‘might makes right.’

Varn Level 8 Dec 3, 2017

yep. agreed. there are a few sources that are using the bible to justify his seeking the 14year old girls when we would ordinarily ostracize him due to pedophilia, but those using this justification are being criticized by apologists who know there's nothing moral about Moore.

I certainly wouldn't argue with him when he's calling them out for hypocrisy.

gearl Level 8 Dec 3, 2017

Superbly stated and totally accurate.

It's more evidence of man remaking his god and religion to fit his personal aims rather than the other way around. It's probably what's been occurring with religion over the eons.

SamL Level 7 Dec 3, 2017

I agree that it's a gospel of greed running uncontrolled. Whether or not that is christianity? I am not so sure... There seem to be an awful lot of christians going for this crap in order to MAINTAIN their power, wealth, and status. Does that not suggest that having power, wealth, and status have always been a part of christianity? (possibly back to the rule of Constantine, anyway?)

Zster Level 8 Dec 3, 2017

no comment

He makes a good point, however the history of religion, notably Christianity, is littered with bodies, what the current republican party is up to today is an insupportable immorality utterly based upon the greed of its leadership and those who effectively own them, and the rampant bigotry of religious zealots desperate for validation (and I say this as someone who left the republican party because of this).

thanks for your ethical decision

I used to be republican also, though I can't say atheism or my transition out of religion had anything to do with leaving the repub party. I think my decisions were based more in things I saw and interpreted as wrong and hateful. Now, however, I could not imagine going with them even on things that we might agree on...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6462
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.