Agnostic.com

31 4

What to do about population?

The population of Humanity is growing exponentially despite the fact most reasonable, intelligent people are having less children than ever before. Are we abandoning the earth to religious people and idiots? What can we do about it really? Obviously genocide is bad ?

Ianwalker1980 5 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We are experiencing an artificial population bump because most of the babies born at a time when a high birth rate was necessary for the populaqtion because so many died young, are actually living longer lives. The current birth rate is not even at a replacement rate in much of the world, so once the older people from the days of a necissarily high birth rate die off, we are going to have a very rapidly declining population.

Unfortunately, Idiocracy wasn't just a funny fiction movie. People with certain kinds of intelligence put off having kids, sometimes until too late to have healthy kids or maybe any kids at all, and those who did had fewer kids, and the people with concerns for the population as a whole too often opted not to have kids, so any genetics related to certain kinds of intelligence or compassion didn't get passed along so plentifully as the genetics from the people who either only cared what they wanted (or thought they wanted), who didn't really think about it but didn't have anything better to do than have a bunch of kids, who were devoted to religions that ordered them to breed like bunny rabbits, or who just could not successfully follow the direction on their birth control. A few brighter, good people had some kids for various reasons, but basically, we unwittingly enacted a breeding program for psychopaths.

And...who's pushing all these babies? RELGIOUS FANATICS, that's who! Fills the collection plates and expands the numbers of faithful. I was amazed when the Chinese established their ''one child'' policy and wish the rest of the world would adopt it, too.

We need to remember that many cultures regard multiple children as the sign of ''a REAL MAN." Uh, huh!

Religions and babies - Hans Rosling

[bit.ly]

Really interesting, thanks for sharing. Perhaps I was being too pessimistic 😉

I think I read that the "turning point" will be when the population gets to about 10 billion by 2050 or something like that. After that, it's almost certain "doom" for us.

7 billion people on the earth and growing we will in time over populate the world to the point we won't be able to feed us all. 6 billion would be more manageable

1 billion would be even more manageable!

If what I see in the news is correct our over population is taking care of itself. Things are much worse in the last 2 years. Rather than government going all fascist and white supremacist, they could make new rules that a couple can only have one and a half children.
Some time back cows were a danger because of all the methane. The solution was to kill more cows. Today it looks like this idea is being applied to people.

for the rest of the world that's not a bad idea. If we got rid of 1,5 deaths would allow for some growth

Didn't work in China or Singapore (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_planning_in_Singapore) .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:64664
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.