Agnostic.com

2 9

Ya know, I live a life that my ancestors--recent and ancient--would have loved. I have no financial worries, I don't have to leave my house to make money, and I have an education. I have more than enough food, own a home (well, the bank and I own it, but I could pay it off if I wished), two vehicles, and my house is warm in winter and cool in summer. I have lots of clothes and shoes.

Access to the world is at my fingertips. I have many books. My health is good and I have access to healthcare; I also have Medicare (which should be a program for ALL people). I can listen to music when and where I want, and if I so wanted, could have a TV to entertain me.

In fact, there are millions of people in the world today who would love to have what I have.

But here I sit, confined by Covid and winter keeps me indoors. I know how good I have it and yet . . . why do so many humans in my spot still feel ennui? Is it a lack of true excitement? We evolved by escaping saber toothed tigers and bears; we strove harder because we had to in order to find food and shelter.

Now, don't get me wrong--I am not about to quit teaching, leave my house, and go into the wilds, but still . . .

Gwendolyn2018 9 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I try and get outside for a few hours every day, either hiking, biking. snowshoeing, skiing, or kayaking.

@Gwendolyn2018 went snowshoeing at Mt Rainier yesterday it was warm and sunny

How about making plans for post Covid? I've been feeling good lately, it is highly unusual for me. And then my kids decided to make plans for summer of 2023. They want a family trip to somewhere in the great lakes area; all of them, all the kidlets, me................. and their dad. I suppose it wouldn't be fair to leave him out. (sigh) So I'm kinda excited and kinda not, but mostly up. I've finally got a job that pays well and I feel appreciated and I'm doing well at. I keep doing these self checks, I'm not used to feeling like this. And yes it is cold, and winter, and if I get out during the week it is to the mailbox and run back inside. I've started a baby quilt for a baby girl before knowing the gender of the child (new grand in the oven, we're hoping it stays put this time). I was gifted the fabric an it inspired me. If it's a boy I will make another quilt and some lucky little lady will get this one (Raggedy Ann/4th of July inspiration).

The thing to keep in mind is you have a routine, and a routine can be a rut. The only difference between a rut and a grave is the dimensions. So maybe do something to shake up your routine to challenge your mind and shake things up a bit.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:647250
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.