Agnostic.com

5 2

Spotify vs. Young

Young was right to ask Spotify to choose between him and Rogan.
Spotify was right to choose Rogan over Young.

TheMiddleWay 8 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Anyone who continues to back either Neil Young or Joni Mitchell need to read these-
[snopes.com]

[bbc.com]

Neither of them are any better than Joe Rogan, hateful comments are hateful comments, and if anyone tries to tell me both Young and Mitchell should be forgiven as those incidents occured a long time ago, then fair enough, but then the same should also apply to Rogan as well. Also, as you pointed out below, nevermind the (inconvenient to some) fact that Rogan is relatively far there on the left being an outspoken liberal who backs Bernie Sanders...

I in particular agree with the last part of your statement. Some would be quick to ask just how important Rogan really is, but I question just how relevant anymore are Young/Mitchell/Nelson and the few other artists who complained about Rogan? Not to mention, it appears the list of artists who voiced concerns over Rogan may not be as big as initially believed, off the top of my head Barry Manilow claimed no involvement in any of that and said he wasn't sure where people even got such an idea from.

It pays to keep in mind shows/podcasts like Rogan's are not and should not be taken at face value, as such are nothing more than opinion pieces, and not facts backed-up by research and science. So much ado over opinion pieces, unreal. I understand misinformation on social media etc can be problematic, but that's the price we pay for being able to live in a free society, and the best way to counter such misinformation is to take to said platforms to let your voice be heard in opposition, to challenge those spreading misinformation. The other thing that gets me is, alot of those who are against Rogan's podcast claim to be liberal, but they are anything but genuinely liberal (open-minded). Contrary to the popular beliefs of some on this site, I consider myself liberal in the classic sense, as I try to be open-minded on matters as much as possible. Attempting to silence others who propose alternate albeit potentially controversial opinions is not the way to go. Once upon a time the organized religions who rose to power at the time sought to "cancel" anyone who opposed the perceived "truths" of the Church, and there were deadly consequences afterwards. I understand those are two different scenarios there, but my point is trying to cancel others over their crude opinions and assumptions is not exactly the liberal path.

On one last note, I find it ironic that when he was younger and at the height of his popularity, Neil Young made a living off of questioning and criticizing the Government (think hippie revolution), and now he appears to be heading in the opposite direction, my how the times change, lol.

Here is a well-written article on the matter from a valid source (by my standards). [theatlantic.com]

@TheMiddleWay Well, Young and Mitchell are inspiring more popular artists to take a stand. What if more popular artists like Billy Eyelish or Katy Perry or Miley Cyrus took a stand? It only takes one person to start a revolution.

@TheMiddleWay Latest update. I can't say whether they would have lost more had they made the reverse decision. Sometimes we're damned if we do, and damned if we don't.

[yahoo.com]

@TheMiddleWay Well, here is the kicker. Apparently, when you sign up for Spotify, there is no "misinformation" clause in your legal agreement. Even though Spotify bans misinformation about the virus in press releases. [latimes.com]

@TheMiddleWay Latest update: haven't checked the meme for accuracy. Source has been valid.

@TheMiddleWay Now I need to google Bad Bunny. Never heard of him/her/she/he.

@TheMiddleWay I think this is a valid resolution: [variety.com]

Here's some followup:
Joni Michell was also inspired and left Spotify. Young's trend might encourage more artists as well to leave. It's sad that businesses have to pick sides, but that's capitalism. No system will ever be perfect.

"Spotify was right to choose Rogan over Young." ... because ...?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:647512
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.