Agnostic.com

10 14

LINK Mississippi mayor withholds library funds unless LGBTQ+ books are purged

There’s a battle brewing in Ridgeland, Mississippi over whether LGBTQ+ literature should be available in the public library, and naturally, Jesus is involved.

The controversy centers around Mayor Gene McGee, who recently withheld a $110,000 payment to the Madison County Library System — roughly 5% of its yearly budget. When the library system’s director Tonja Johnson inquired about the money, she was told that McGee wouldn’t release it unless the system purged its shelves of all “homosexual materials.”

snytiger6 9 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Big surprise ehh? Whether it’s Mississippi, Arkansas, Texas, any state down South it’s all the same. Evangeloons want to pretend it’s still the 60s or 70s, or, rather the 1800s.

Well, well, lookie here.
An elected government official withholding public funds over his religious beliefs that homosexuality is "bad".
Sounds like a clear violation of the Constitution's establishment clause.
I think the FFRF would be interested in this case.

For sure they are aware of it. Often, though, they need a local to file a complaint through FFRF.

Mayor Gene McGee is a vile little shit and he is unfit to be a member of society. Bugger him thrice daily with a Big Black Cock.

Time to sue this MFing bigot! 😡

Libraries actually have LGBTQ books? I never knew.

And this is going to court when?

The ignorance is getting deeper by the day.

And more vocal / public…..kinda like Germany in the late 30’s

I hope the library sues the mayor.

The librarians association [ALA?] used to litigate issues like this. Do the still?

That bastard is very stuck in the past and I'm glad I don't live in that state.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:647553
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.