Agnostic.com

13 19

Dreadful last four days. The male trainer was abusive.

Today I sent this letter to a Census administer. I decided to quit the job.

Dear Patricia,

The SIPP (Survey of Income and Participation) training was stressful and dreadful. It was way too much material to memorize in four days. I was one of two beginners. The other newcomer was a man. We both struggled and felt overwhelmed. The rest of the group had worked for SIPP for years, and were there for a brush-up.

Only 20% of people are auditory learners. We all needed visual aids and group exercises.

Trainer Jeff Solomon read aloud (distracting) while I tried to memorize complicated computer keystrokes, codes, endless acronyms and dozens of new function keys. It was stressful and frustrating. Struggled to keep up.

On Wednesday, Jeff lost his Iphone. He brought the class to a halt as he frantically searched and threw a hissy fit. Finally, he found it under his table.

Still mad, Jeff then stood behind me criticizing me, hovering like a vulture. He has a loud voice. It was humiliating. He made me feel nervous so I made more errors. "Why don't you go pick on someone else?" I asked.

"I'm going to stay right here until you get it right!" Jeff replied loudly. I had enough. Thought about using the word "bully," but that was too triggering. He was acting abusive.

"You are hounding me," I said firmly and loudly. Jeff backed off. Later three women praised me for standing up to Jeff. "I don't feel comfortable confronting him," they said. "I keep my head down so he won't call on me."

Sadly, this exhausting four day SIPP training ruined the fun of working for the Census. I have happily worked for the Census every ten years since 2000.

To make matters worse, the Census Administration forced me to drive 400 miles round trip instead of flying me. I drove for seven hours. This caused me to go into overtime that is not allowed. The payroll website rejected my driving hours. We are paid for driving time.

Also, the Census Admin. refused to pay for a hotel room on Friday night. I had to go home after class ended, 195 miles away.

Drove into the setting sun bucking a strong headwind (snowstorm coming). After dark, I was blinded by oncoming vehicles. Their headlights had long bright golden rays radiating out in a circle. Averting my eyes, I looked at the right side of the road at 60 mph. Curves were torture. Felt relieved when I finally had a line of cars in front of me. Followed their snaking red taillights like a pull toy. It was a rough drive.

"I don't want to drive in the dark," I told Eli earlier. Need to make an appointment with an eye surgeon for a cataract eye surgery tuneup.

Please forward this email to Diane, Regional Supervisor. She needs to know about Jeff Solomon's abusive, inappropriate behavior at the SIPP training.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Kathleen Miller
Wenatchee, WA

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Only 20% of people are auditory learners"
That is a real opener. Thanks for that !

twill Level 7 Feb 7, 2022

happened way too many times in my life, it's time this BS stops.

"DAMN"!

Hazard pay, overtime, and bullshittery pay denied? I will count myself during the next census, tell you how many I am, and send you a check.

@Holysocks

Hazard pay is needed, indeed. "The most important thing is to keep yourself safe," the trainer Jeff said.

Census administration staff don't care about our safety. Their priority is to keep expenses down. With Census headquarters in Burbank, CA, they don't think about snow. In Alaska and other northern states, it's WINTER.

So, I guess you can’t “ count on us “ then, huh?

I had a boss that would do that to me. He also believed a woman could not do 4 color separation (this was back before computer technology and was done manually). He came into the small darkroom area one morning to hoover over me. He was over 6 feet tall and fat. He finally left but I was so jittery I dropped the optical glass cover plate for the transparency holder and it broke. Course being the cheap bastard he was there was no back up piece of optical glass.
I took the broken chard to his office but words failed me, I just stood there holding this broken chard of glass. I finally said, "It broke." silent pause, I then said "I know it may look like it but I DO NOT lay awake at night trying to figure out ways to fuck myself up". He ordered another piece of glass and he stopped coming into the darkroom and hoovering over me.

Such a jerk occupying such a position. One more proof that the universe is chaotic.

Well, it seems he's not really someone who is good at teaching. Therefore not a good choice to do the job. There's loads of people doing jobs that don't really fit their personalities, unfortunately. In this case it seems he shouldn't be training people.

Clearly not suited to the job.

That's no trainer, that's a butt hole.

I would file an informal complaint with the agency's EEOC office. The investigate informally, then try to resolve the complaint, or allow you to go forward with a formal complaint.

@glennlab

I filed an official report with the Census Harassment and Intimidation Dept. Sent the director an email. She asked me to copy and paste my email onto an official report document. I electronically signed it. The director thanked me.

As a former human resources director, I knew exactly how to write the report.

The oddest question was: "Why do you think this person behaved that way?" They were looking for a chain of events leading to the incident. There is no excuse for Jeff's behavior.

He's a bully. Men bully people because they are mean, insecure assholes. It makes them feel powerful.

In the report, I also wrote that Jeff repeatedly yelled at a male classmate, Lee, because Lee didn't speak loudly enough when called upon. Several times Jeff told us he has a hearing loss. Yet he didn't wear a hearing aid.

What a horrible experience from soup to nuts! I'm glad you took the time to detail your experience, as clearly there are other people he's also abusing. I hope they're at least responsible enough to respond with an apology, even though that hardly makes up for what you endured.

Wow. That's disappointing to hear.
I'd have thought these sort of trainings would be completely cut and dried. I wonder how a bad worker like that would slip through the cracks.😡

When the crack they slip through happens to be an ass crack...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:648023
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.