Agnostic.com

9 0

LINK The Pressure Campaign on Spotify to Remove Joe Rogan Reveals the Religion of Liberals: Censorship

"The U.K.'s Royal Society, its national academy of scientists, this month echoed Substack's view that censorship, beyond its moral dimensions and political dangers, is ineffective and breeds even more distrust in pronouncements by authorities. “Governments and social media platforms should not rely on content removal for combatting harmful scientific misinformation online." "There is,” they concluded, "little evidence that calls for major platforms to remove offending content will limit scientific misinformation’s harms” and "such measures could even drive it to harder-to-address corners of the internet andexacerbate feelings of distrust in authorities.”"

WilliamCharles 8 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tyranny of the left or right is tyranny just the same, & is the true enemy. Unpopular views will cause a backlash & Rogan knows this. Lest it catapult him to further popularity via publicity, Mr. Young has an interest in what platforms his music is presented especially if he owns the rights. I am an absolutist when it comes to speech. It is the forum by which it is disseminated that I take issue with. Black listing Rogan only makes him a martyr or a rallying point. One of the issues that may have no resolution. It is when the government imposes restrictions on speech that we most all are imperiled. Young has the right to pull his music if he owns the rights & further legal script is agreeable to that end. Rogan also has the right to his opinions as loathsome as they may be. A healthy opposition is the most productive in the long run. Make "good' noise against him. One day we as a species may evolve beyond his narrow view of things. If not as a species we are at risk. How do I know.? Because since I was born the progress in progressive causes are winning & the bigots & their allies are threatened with obsoleteism.

If the powers that be were actually about truth, they'd be screaming at the top of their lungs that Julian Assange was being imprisoned and tortured for exposing it.

It seems that screaming "Cancel culture!" is just another case of name calling and virtue signaling. When we fail to give a platform or voice to people we disagree with, we are accused of embracing "cancel culture." I won't be shamed for ignoring the irrelevant, willfully ignorant, or the dishonest. If I allow some schmuck to shame me for refusing to support anyone, then my boundaries have been crossed and my right s are violated. I don't believe Rogan deserves a platform for his misinformation, and it's gratifying to know that other ethical people feel the same way. Fuck the thought police.

Deb57 Level 8 Jan 31, 2022

I remember when people derided the very notion of "vaccine passports"... and now we have them. There's video footage of various politicians and government officials saying mandatory vaccinations would not come to pass or even be constitutional... and now we're here. There's plenty of lies and misinformation that multiple outlets spread that get a pass. Incessant war propaganda comes to mind. While I don't believe in flat earth, or astrology, or faked moon landings, I don't see silencing those voices as a positive development. If the Covid debate is about the harm misinformation can do, then I want the standard applied uniformly.

@WilliamCharles I really don't see what the fuss is for about vaccinating for Covid. In the USA school systems, various inoculations have been mandatory for any child who wants to attend a public school. It has been this way for as long as I can remember, and I'm pretty fucking old. The anti-vax stance on this particular vaccination is so politically driven that there is no mistaking it. It's irresponsible to fail to vax up for people who are physically able to do so.

@Deb57 - I'm anti-mandate on this. Body autonomy is important and there's enough legitimate concern over this one that the choice needs to be up to the individual. Plus, the fact that it's mutating to a point where it is becoming endemic also factors in.

If the US government was serious about their concern being the health and lives of its citizens, they could enact universal healthcare. Instead, they chose to further strain people's financial well-being with their pandemic measures with little safety net.

@WilliamCharles I'm anti mandate, too. But I still judge the hell out of people who spread misinformation and who choose to spread a potentially deadly virus, rather than get the jabs and take the simple precautions. It shows an unforgivable level of selfishness, irresponsibility, and cowardice.

@Deb57 - I'm for conversations where people are willing to concede when in error. Bring on opposing views. Have them face off in real time. Fact check on the spot. Mostly what I see is guilt by association. Our MSM gladly turns people into Emmanuel Goldsteins on a regular basis. When I see finger-wagging by the likes of MSNBC who host the likes of "Bloody Bill" Kristol on a regular basis (so much blood on his hands) or any other Rethuglican POS as long as they talk ill about the Orange Shitstain, I seriously want to hurl. To trust these people to act with integrity is a grave mistake. I hate bagging on Biden all the time because "our" shitheads are slightly less rapacious than their shitheads, but the irony of Jim Crow Joe making his campaign largely about what a liar the Cheeto Benito is was laughable. Joe's got a long track record of lies including those that had him dropping out of the '88 primary (and he hasn't improved with age). Lying less than the other candidate (particularly less than the Mango Manchild) is a low bar indeed.

@WilliamCharles Indeed. I agree with all of this, although I don't watch any of the 24 hour news networks, so I miss all the opinions disguised as truths from all directions. Bias is never helpful. When I want to know what government officials are doing in our government, I watch CSPAN.

I used to enjoy Rogan when he was a comedian, back before 'Fear Factor'. I don't watch his podcast because I'm not wild about his 'comedy' now, nor his spreading of mis-information & conspiracy BS. That said, unless he gets pulled from Spotify because of low ratings, "cancelling" him is too far. Free Speech is a paramount concern & a slippery slope when trying to squash it...Maybe a banner can appear with either a warning about mis-information, a la Twitter, or with a link to more reliable info. Just spit-balling here, but outright censorship is not a good idea. When precedents are set, who then is the censor & what bias may appear there?

In the arena of ideas, bring out your champions!

No, this isn't censorship, it's the free market at work shutting down someone who is spreading dangerous misinformation. I love how the Right trumpets the free market, except when they don't like the results. What can you expect from an ideology that now won't even respect the results of elections they lost?

HRC wouldn't shut up about the Russians being the cause of her loss to the Mango Manchild. The DNC went out of their way to kneecap Bernie (both times). The support for Creepy Addled Jim Crow Joe was tepid at best as the DNC pushed another hold-your-nose candidate to the front of the line. I think Cheetolini legitimately lost to Biden, even with Rethuglican voter suppression heavily in play, but the track record of our voting process is not one that instills much confidence.

@WilliamCharles What does this have to do with HRC? Nothing. Doesn't have anything to do with politics even, it's responsible people trying to stop the spread of dangerous misinformation.

@Druvius - You mentioned sour grapes about losing elections. Russiagate was largely nonsense invented out of whole cloth, yet reverberated for months and months.

Bring out your champions!

This is a mess and in my opinion no one is actually paying attention to the details. Joe Rogan has the right to have anyone he wants on his Podcast. It is up to us to listen to what these people say and either listen to what they have to say, or put their name on a list as a person who has no reason to be listened to. I have listened to his Podcast for some time and I find a great number of people who have nothing to say, nothing that should be listened too. I now have a list and I add to it all the time. As for Joe's point of view, All I have ever heard him say is. "I am an idiot on such matters and no one should listen to what I have to say." "I have no real knowledge of this and so should not be taken as someone who should be followed." His wife children, mother and father and all of his other relatives have taken the shot. He did not as circumstances did not allow for it from the people he works for doing other work. He wants people to be healthy and fit which is why he did what he did. He has the right to do this. I know many people do not like what he has to say, but that does not mean he does not have the right to say it, and those who do not want to hear it do not have to listen.

Personally, if one was to do the research it would not surprise me to find that the Conservatives are behind wanting to get him off the air, he does not support Trump. He has said so many times and he did not vote for him.

What it revels is that people are tired of the outright lies being being broadcast in the name of profit... Lies that are killing people

A Ministry of Truth is always a bad precedent. The arena of ideas should be a free-for-all. Call out lies to be sure, but silencing voices creates its own set of problems. Wasn't it Washington Post that had a regular presidential fact checker column for the Orange Shitstain, but discontinued it for Creepy Addled Jim Crow Joe?

@williamcharles if you want to call it that we used to have a ministry of truth... Then republicans got rid of it and fox news was born.....

@Redneckliberal - I'm all for bringing back equal time.

@WilliamCharles A "Ministry Of Truth" would be a government institution, not a private organization.

@FearlessFly - During the Hollywood Blacklist, it wasn't the government that censored these artists directly, but rather fearful studios essentially doing their bidding. Tech giants in many ways are repeating this pattern, particularly in their use and applications of algorithms.

@WilliamCharles Your OP is a (Greenwald opinion) blog. (confirmation bias? )
. . . so far no verifiable/credible source(s) for "fearful studios doing their bidding" or "repeating their bidding" 😛

@FearlessFly

"The blacklist really did exist. It was an organized effort to remove people from the movie industry for their political opinions, and the federal government played a major role in launching it. Anyone who cares about free expression should object to that sort of censorship by proxy, both as it manifested itself in the early days of the Cold War and as it threatens to re-emerge in social media today."

[reason.com]

@WilliamCharles . . . I hadn't made the Blacklist connection . . .
The Cold War/Red Scare was a huge fear back in the day.
I dubious of the Blacklist <---> Big Tech giants 'repeating this pattern' 'analogy'.

@FearlessFly - You continue to make my point. It was a huge fear... yet being a member of the communist party wasn't illegal. Despite this, people were sanctioned.

"First they came for the communists... "

~ Martin Niemöller

@FearlessFly - Tech giants are indeed distorting the debate in many ways as they exercise their control. If it's dismissed as merely something they are free to do as private companies expect an increase of more of the same.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:648151
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.