Agnostic.com

8 2

Could non-Australians please comment as I would like an outsiders perspective.

A positive Australian athlete is allowed to compete after expert medical advice approves.
About three weeks ago an Australian minister over rode expert medical evidence and sent an athlete packing due to some perceived potential danger to society.
So my question;
Does Australia look like utter dickheads to the international community now?
[abc.net.au]

puff 8 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No country is obligated to take a diseased person in.

Twist it as you will, the bottom line us, he lied on his application, which is grounds for rejecting Anyone.
You, he, and that minister are Not above the law!!!!!!

How would I test for dickheadism?

play the star spangled banner and see who stands up or takes a knee

@puff (grin) Would the dickheads be standing or on knees?

@yvilletom I knoooow, more specificity needed!!!!

. . . different facts/circumstances -- false equivalency 😛

Anyone who would make the judgement "Australia looks like utter dickheads to the international community" over a single non-event is an idiot whose opinion isn't worth listening to.

No…Djokovic tried and failed to game the system, by lying and making false statements to enter Australia…whereas the Australian athletes in Beijing followed and complied with all the rules. Australia was right to deport Djokovic and he’s the one who is now looking like a right “Dick”..and sick as a dog too after that great win by Nadal I bet!

Jesus talk about misinformation.
Djokovic did not game the system, confirmed by Serbian authorities, Australian court and conceded by the Australian government. These are the facts of the case. Djokovic complied with all rules set before him. Indisputable fact!!!
He was deported on the ministers discretion, rather vague yet powerful legislation introduced by then minister Scott Morrison, now PM, about 2014 I think. The minister was not happy with the court decision, so over ruled it using his powers which Nigel Farange quite correctly stated is what banana republics do.
Novak was deported because his mere presence in Australia was assessed as "perhaps" encouraging antivax sentiment by this government.
I remind all that tennis players don't just rock up to tournaments, they are invited. Novak applied for a visa which was approved, then revoked at airport, re-issued by the court then cancelled by the minister which means automatic 3 year ban from entry.
Novak obeyed all the rules given to him, the court case confirmed this. It was the government who took an extraordinary step to bypass those rules.
PS Kudo's to Nadal, but he had help.

@puff He lied about his travel in the days prior to entering Australia and falsified the details on his entry documents. The minister was acting within his remit to order his extradition…get over it!

Btw don’t ask for our perspective unless you really want to hear it and not just confirm what you think!!

@Marionville But that was not the reason he was deported so you wonder why that reason was not included in the ministers argument. And you applaud Australia's handling of the case, got it.
I look forward to seeing Novak and Nadal play in France, who will recognise his exemption as they follow science not agendas, as China/ Olympics accept science as well. Will you be cheering the "dickhead", because I will be.
[forbes.com]

@puff I hope the best player wins…I have no dog in the race now that Andy Murray has ruled himself out of playing!

@puff you are sadly misinformed...or willfully obtuse?

Djokovic looks like an utter dickhead for failing to vaccinate and YOU look like an utter dickhead for calling his failure to vaccinate "some perceived potential danger to society".

I didn't say that, the government minister did.

@puff You wrote it in your post. It is not represented as a quotation.

@LovinLarge because it wasn't a direct quote (maybe it is) but the excuse/ explanation given.
Kelly Slater, another "Dickhead" in your opinion, just won pipeline again. Luckily Hawaii let him compete but you do have a bill of rights in the US, Australia not. Our bad.

@puff There you go contradicting yourself again. You said the government minister said it yet it wasn't a direct quote. Either he said it or you said it. You did not attribute it to him as a quote therefore you said it.

Failure to vaccinate is a real danger to society not a "perceived potential danger" so yet again you are misrepresenting medical info about the pandemic and should be banned from this website.

@LovinLarge So you are correct, vaccination stops transmission. This is why the vaccinated still isolate when positive, still wear PPE and covid has been completely stopped in Israel and nursing homes where all are vaccinated. Why the Australian tested positive at the Olympics, vaccinated and all transmission obviously stopped.
You are the one spreading dangerous information for if people listened to you, that being vaccinated they won't transmit, they will neglect all other measures as they are no longer a danger to others. Which is of course what is happening in reality ie no one vaccinated is contributing to the spread.
The court proceedings are online, you may learn yourself exactly what the lawyers stated and what the judge stated.

@puff Vaccination stops transmission of COVID in some cases by protecting the potential recipient not by making the person already infected less contagious, which renders your entire rant meaningless.

Your time would be better spent dealing with whatever your psychological issues are. Seriously, take your problems elsewhere, the focus of this website is the absence of religion not the absence of functional grey matter.

No. Novak Djokovic looks like an utter dickhead.

What's the story you understand why he was rejected? Because he did everything asked of him, the court agreed and the minister overturned the court's decision using his discretionary powers.
Personally, don't like politicians over turning ie ignoring court decisions when they disagree as they are the law makers. Separation of powers and all that.
Kudo's to the Chinese in this case imo for accepting the science and heeding medical advice, not tempted to use political power to make a point as Australia did.

@puff He could've gotten vaccinated. There is no evidence of any problem with these vaccines. We could've ended this pandemic by now if it weren't angry antivaxxers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:649315
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.