Agnostic.com

2 4

LINK Supreme Court allows Alabama voting maps that advocates say disenfranchise Black voters

WASHINGTON — In a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court cleared the way Monday for Alabama to use its new congressional district map even though a lower court said it violated the Voting Rights Act by denying Black voters a new district.

The court granted a request from Alabama Republicans to put a hold on the lower court ruling.

The case — the first to reach the Supreme Court involving the redrawing of political boundaries with 2020 census results — could affect redistricting in other states that gained minority populations.

snytiger6 9 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We're fucked. Hope I'm dead before he's president again.

Trump's lost the support of independents. He will only lose by a larger margin than in 2020.

@snytiger6 Biden has lost support of independents AND democrats. There's no reason to think Trump couldn't beat him. Fuck, Biden's approval rating is absolute shit.

@JeffMurray Or, it may be that on election day in 2024, that Biden will seem like the lesser evil. If the other candidate is Trump, then it is pretty much guaranteed that Biden will be seen as the lesser evil.

@snytiger6 We can hope, but I think the apathy of the left will hurt and the cohesiveness of the right will shine (like it always does).

@JeffMurray Well, I choose to be optimistic. I suspect Trump will be facing criminal charges before November of this year. McConnell seems to have realized that, and I thin that is why he isn't supporting Trump or what Trump says. I think Trump will cause the republican party to split ideologically. The Fascists and racists on one side and the traditional republicans on the other.

It has happened before in 1940. There was at the time a pretty strong Nazi movement in the U.S., and the republicans were divided between the fascists and racists on once side and the traditionalists, which allowed FDR to win a fourth term in office as his popularity was waning. After Dec. 7th 1941, when Pearl Harbor was attacked, the country united as Hitler shortly after also declared war on the U.S. a couple of days later.

@snytiger6 I wish I could me optimistic. I don't think I'm being pessimistic though. I also don't think what's happening now is like anything in the past. The level of misinformation, stupidity, and Supreme-Court-approved voter suppression is so high it's practically impossible for me to see the States come out the other side United, democracy intact. Hell, I already think we're no longer a democracy, so it's not a stretch for me.

Thanks to Trump and Trumplican court stuffing, fairness in voting will never improve.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:649536
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.