Agnostic.com

2 2

LINK Why Germany won't help Ukraine

This is what I've been saying except with maps and graphics. I understand that Scholtz has firmly committed to NATO so that might make Putin relent on attack.

rainmanjr 8 Feb 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is a rather biased and un-nuanced view, but I'm just going to quote one of the responses on the video, since they sum it up much better than I could. Basic point, Germany is already helping Ukraine.

"While it is true indeed, that German support for Ukraine is lacking behind in some areas, this video doesn't really provide a good overall picture of the German situation in regards to the Ukrainian Crisis (or Russian Crisis rather).
So let me point out some specific issues that this video didn't address very well:

0:37 It's not so much really the German foreign ministry/minister that is the issue here, but more so the chancellor and his party, the SPD. The German foreign minister Annalena Baerbock is a member of the Green party, which is the biggest critic of Putin within the German political landscape. Baerbock herself has demanded several times to stop the Nord Stream 2 pipeline, before she and her party became part of the German government in December of last year. Her party member and current vice chancellor Robert Habeck even proposed weapon deliveries to Ukraine in May of last year. Both have become somewhat silence in this regard since they took office, because they have to stick to the German government policy, which is directed by the chancellor Olaf Scholz. Scholz is a member of the social democrats (SPD) and they are known for a much more friendly approach towards Russia as the video mentions later on. So blaming the German foreign ministry/minister it's not really getting the point, as it should rather blame the chancellor and his party. Yes, German politics can be complicated 🙂

2:46 The video mentions how a number of western allies strengthen their alliance committmend by sending more troops to eastern Europe, but doesn't mention that Germany does so too: Germany is already leading the eFP Battlegroup in Lithuania and is providing the bulk of the forces of this battlegroup, but now Germany will send additional troops and heavy equipment there to strengthen it as a reaction to the escalating situation in Ukraine. It will also send fighter jets to Romania as part of this effort, so it is very much in step with its allies in this regard.

3:08 It is true, that the current German government has imposed very strict rules on weapons export on themselves and thus doesn't want to deliver weapons to Ukraine. But, what isn't really mentioned in the public discussion and is also left out in this video, is the fact, that since the conflict in Ukraine started in 2014, Germany is the biggest contributor of financial aid to Ukraine!

3:43 The mentioned field hospital was just funded by Germany, but delivered by Estonia. The 5000 helmets have just been promised to Ukraine, but have not been delivered as of today.

11:10 As I already mentioned, the Green Party is not the issue here, as the Greens want to get rid of fossil fuels entirely and have criticised the pipeline project a lot, before they became the junior partner in the government. Now they have to make compromises in order to make this government coalition work and so they have to give in to the chancellor and his social democrats who are dedicated to make this pipeline happen.

12:49 The construction of a LNG terminal on the German coast is already in planning by the German government."

Great comment. I think Ukraine is really about Nord Stream 2 so a proceeding terminal is acquisition to Russia.

Recall that Putin funded Trump via Deutsche Bank, and it was found that they were deeply involved in laundering money from Putin's kleptocrats.

I do recall that but thank you for the mention.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:651650
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.