Agnostic.com

3 14

Tweedy's Lewisia grows on rock cliffs. Hard to get up there.

Hiking to the summit of Mission Peak last June, Karen and I rounded a corner and gasped. A wall of Tweedy's Lewisia flowers glowed in the sun above the trail.

But it was dangerous to scramble that vertical, loose wall of crumbly rock. Just to get a picture? Of course the prettiest rose-colored flowers were highest.

We set down our packs and took our hiking poles for the descent. Scrambled the wall grabbing rocks to pull ourselves higher.

Crouching unsteadily, I considered the cost. Gazed longingly at the prettiest, rose colored flowers. Could I hold still to take a photo in loose, sliding, extremely steep terrain? How will I get down? I let Karen take the highest photo. She's part mountain goat.

Luckily managed to get down safely.

Tweedy's Lewisia grows in North Central Washington. It was discovered by Professor Tweedy of Central Washington University.

Looks like a bit of Hawaii.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Some wild flowers are the best. These are Colorado 4 o'clocks. I had literally hundreds of bushes on my property last summer.

Beautiful shots

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 21, 2022

That is beautiful!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:652006
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.