Agnostic.com

5 29

The girl I'm mentoring applied for 25 scholarships due March 1. Bravo!

Alexandria missed weeks of school (and applying for scholarships) when she got COVID. She was vaccinated. She had a drippy nose and deep fatigue.

After she returned to school, we redoubled our efforts. Meeting on Tuesdays and Fridays after school.

"I submitted all of the Community Foundation of North Central Washington scholarships," she texted today. The deadline was looming. Well done!

My plan is to help her apply for fifty scholarships. It's a numbers game. My goal is for her win enough renewable scholarships to graduate with her bachelor degree debt-free.

With straight A's, Alexandria plays instruments: flute, violin and electric base guitar. Since junior year, she has been first flute and section leader. She leads by example. Alexandria plans to become a research scientist.

For over fifteen years, I have been a volunteer college mentor at the high school. I help low income children of immigrants write essays to apply for colleges and scholarships. They are the first person in their family to go to college. This is the most rewarding volunteer work I have done.

Photo: I took women I previously mentored on a hike at Icicle Gorge. From left: is becoming a doctor and oncologist. Elizabet is in medical school; she plans to be a pediatrician. Last year, Teresa and her brother bought their parents their first house. Teresa works for the City of Wenatchee directing programs for Hispanic residents.

Remarkable women. It's an honor to work with them.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As the 1st person in my family to attend a university, I lament that I did not have a counselor like you back then. As programs such as this were in their formative stage, many of us were grapping with our futures. It was a tumultuous time as it always seems to be. Kudos to you all.

A great inspiration for sure.

Seems like the positive ripples out from you in every direction. Well done.

I admire you and am proud of you.

@jlynn37

Thank you.

Lovely pic. Good success story 😊

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:652776
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.