Agnostic.com

3 11

Tired of canned messages, I answered literally. Critiqued his profile. Ha!

On Fitness Singles, instead of writing a personal message, most men use canned, lazy pull-down messages:

Great smile! Wanna chat?

I'm interested in learning more about you. Let's chat.

Today for the thousandth time, a man sent me this canned message:

I liked your profile. What do you think of mine?

My reply

What do I think of your profile?

My favorite part is your username: ThoughtfulHiker.

Especially like: "I love to hike, travel, and laugh about the absurdities of life." Me, too.

Paragraphs #2, 3 and 4 lost me. Too vague and hard to read. And I have a master degree.

I suggest you clarify and shorten those three paragraphs. I thought "Oh, dear," and skipped to the ending.

Kathleen

p.s. Since 2006, I have been a volunteer college mentor at the high school. I help students apply for colleges and scholarships. I'm used to reading meandering, run-on essay drafts. Couldn't resist answering the question literally.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@anglophone, @HippieChick58, @Robert_2001, @RichCC, @bobwjr

His reply is funny and delightful.

Hey Kathleen, thanks for the compliment! We are literate AND thoughtful.

Paragraph 2: I have worked and volunteered. I'm a good man.
Paragraph 3: First sentence's ok, the rest is essentially don't let the past shackle one.
Paragraph 4: Men tend to be klutzes (sp?) about communicating feelings.

Great about mentoring, and that it is tied to a very worthy cause. We need more critical thinking I think but I'm not sure! That is meant to be humorous. I lived on a reservation briefly growing up, was a great experience, so perhaps you are helping some 1st Nations folk, and bravo for taking the time.

Thank you for being candid and direct, and I hope you have a great evening. I do like the sound of my own head rattling out on paper, and invariably edit wildly. I write articles and poems occasionally. Again thanks for taking a moment to write. Robert

He took it well. This guy might be worth checking out Kathleen......ya never know. But I might know.

@twill

He lives in Pocatello, ID, 651 miles away. It's 10-hour drive. Too far away.

@LiterateHiker I'm sorry to hear that.

Really, he seems okay. Being able to take criticism and bravely coming back for more is a green flag.

@Deb57

He lives 651 miles away. It's a 10-hour drive. Too far away.

@LiterateHiker Would you drive 325 miles to meet someone?

@dalefvictor

No. That's 5-6 hours of driving over mountain passes.

There is value in being terse, but it can backfire. A colleague once said to me "I can usually get away with reading every third word, but I have to read all of your words, damn you!". My response was along the lines of "Why should I waste my time by writing unnecessary words and why should I waste your time by expecting you to read them?". She looked stunned and chastened.

Please share the reply if you get one, that will be the true measure of the man.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:653477
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.