Agnostic.com

5 7

This is a slightly cynical observation, but probably true.
An outcome of the invasion of Ukraine, and the consequent increase in oil and gas prices will be an acceleration of the take-up of alternative sources of energy and sales of electric cars.

Petter 9 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would buy an electric car now, but they are virtually impossible to find. I can only find 1, within a 150 mile radius of my house, and the dealer told me I'd have to bid on it.

I don't bid on cars.

Let us hope this is true.

There are positives and negatives to just about everything, even electric cars. The disposal of the batteries have a negative impact on the environment.

Betty Level 8 Mar 2, 2022

@Garban I agree. My fear is that greed has proven that if doing the right thing is more expensive, then finding ways to illegally dispose the less expensive options is preferable. Big companies will put people at risk for profit.

Have you heard about the new polymer batteries being researched and developed. They are lighter even than Lithium batteries, use NO rare earth minerals, and yet store as much. The only down-side is that they are larger than Lithium batteries. However, since they can be moulded in shape they could form part of a vehicles body (say thick door panels or the floor) rather than needing space in the storage areas.
They have another potential benefit, which is to eliminate the world's reliance on a few countries for raw materials.

@Petter Sounds promising. 🙂

Another cynical observation.
Seems "gofundme" is not being used to support Ukraine, but crypto sure is. This, combined with the weaponisation of swift/ sanctions, will cause an acceleration of alternate payment systems that avoid using $USD.

PS GoFund Me withheld bushfire donations in Australia from 2 years ago, withheld Canadian truckers funds. Just before xmas was a jumping castle incident killing kids in Tasmania started a GoFundMe page, withholding those funds too.
Not the most trustworthy platform for raising funds.

puff Level 8 Mar 2, 2022

As fossil fuels become more expensive, alternate sources of energy become more competitive.

So in that sense, we can all start calling Putin "Mr. Green Energy".

BD66 Level 8 Mar 2, 2022
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:653604
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.