Agnostic.com

5 1

What is Islamophobia?

Let's define this term 'Islamophobia'. It may not be comprehensive but it can still lead us to some 'enlightenment'.

• 0 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 3 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 0 votes
Maya405 7 Dec 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Islamophobia is all those things listed. As well as a tool used mainly by the right wing to turn attention away from their own corruption. Some of the establishment left wing does this as well though I'd say not to the same degree.

However the far left wing throws this term out way too often. To the point where any time you criticize Islam suddenly you're racist and discriminating. That mind set is dangerous. I personally have nothing against individual Muslims, just as I have no issue with individual Christian's or Hindus or members of most other religions. It's the ideology of Islam, the myth that is used to justify horrible atrocities that I despise and think should be criticized and ridiculed thoroughly. Just as every ideology should be completely open to criticism, and if merited ridicule.

I'd consider myself a liberal left winger and even so I think those who over use the term of islamophobia are doing more harm then good. We should never be shamed from being able to criticize idea's, especially the particularly horrible ones such as those found in Islamic doctrine. That would only further weaken our democracy and help legitimize this horrible religion which, along with Christianity and every other God myth needs to be pushed aside in favor of scientific knowledge.

Islamophobia is fear of the other one does not understand. It is a form of hatred of others based in extreme fundamentalistic religious beliefs because one sees any other religion as a threat. It is a desire to feel better or superior to someone else. It is a terrible and powerful tool
which the most morally bankrupt of politicians and clerics use to whip up hatred and fear. .It is detestable ethnocentrism.

Well said, @wordywalt.

I voted weapon to stigmatize.
Trumpy has really brought this to the forefront in his diligent attempts to ban most of the immigrants from the Middle East based on the reasons in the OP.
Skin color, Ethnicity, and religious beliefs.

Yes, it does combine the three.
Thanks.

Islamophobia can be many, many things - depending on who is guilty of it, or accusing others of such guilt.

It is basically a 'convenient concept' that people use in many different ways.

Yes, a 'convenient concept' indeed, and some people do use it in many different ways, but the object remains the same. Bullying, exploitation, coercion and control.

Here's my vote.

Anybody there?

Just had to get that first one, didn't you? It's difficult being patient. I should know.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6543
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.