Agnostic.com

38 11

Do you pray? Do you yearn for spirit-based community?

This question is in my bio too, because it's why I just joined!

Do you pray? Do you yearn for spirit-based community?
I was raised Catholic and also have North American indigenous heritage, so I've participated at times in both spiritualities. Personally, when it comes to spirituality I think there are many ways of knowing around the world but I also believe humans in general know/understand very of the universe and creation. But I miss the feeling of prayer and spiritual community that comes with believing in something, and believing it with others who share that belief. Do any of you ever pray - maybe to your inner self, the universe, or any lingering sense of karma or fate? Do you yearn for a sense of community with others based on ideals or spirituality?

Edit: to clarify for those who mind one way or the other, I am no longer a practicing member of any faith, and I don't believe in any god(s) or pray in the Christian sense of the word. I am not judgemental of those who do, though (so long as they are kind people who don't try to control others). Please see my response post if you'd like more info on my perspective 🙂.

DarkMatter 4 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments (26 - 38)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Spirituality can be anything you want it to be. Many ways of knowing what? IDK. What? Ah yes. Close your eyes and bow your head and start talking to yourself. For what?

No, I never prayed. I'm an atheist.

Never believed in an invisible being that resides somewhere beyond the clouds.

Commune with nature. Nature won't lie to your face. After researching their use, and finding someone to guide you, try psychedelics (start low, go slow).

I'd much prefer a hot bowl of Split Priest Soup, with Jeezus Trumpy crackers!

No pray but meditation about my day

That counts as prayer in the sense I meant it 🙂. What do you do to meditate about your day, if you don't mind me asking?

I've started a similar practice recently - I use 5-senses grounding techniques to feel more present in my day, and I write down all the things swirling in my head so that I can prioritize and put some on the backburner (or pray or meditate on them, as some might say).

@DarkMatter , praying is begging to the sky wizard. When I meditate is about setting goals that I want to accomplish for the day.

@Cecilia2018 I'm pretty sure that's not the dictionary definition of prayer, but okay!

Fuck no!!!! Thanks for asking though. 🙂

No, of course not.

No. We're atheists.

No. But thanks for your concern.

I never pray, I don't yearn for mystical beliefs.

It's deep, dark and matters.

Search for your epistemological and ontological truths.

Yes, epistemology is exactly the point of this post - I suggest reading my main response if you're assuming I'm addicted to religious prayer.

Nope not at all, and not interested either.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:656920
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.