Agnostic.com

6 6

What a pathetic lack of impulse control. I can never look at Will Smith, whom I used to adore, the same again. Consequences are in order!

Did Will Smith’s slap violate the Academy’s code of conduct — and could he lose his Oscar?

… the code of standards, which was updated in December 2017 in the wake of the Me Too movement, asks its members to behave ethically and uphold the academy’s “values of respect for human dignity, inclusion, and a supportive environment that fosters creativity.”

The code states the academy is “categorically opposed to any form of abuse, harassment, or discrimination” and stipulates that it is no place for “people who abuse their status, power, or influence in a manner that violates standards of decency.”

The code states the academy’s board can suspend or expel those who violate the code of conduct or who “compromise the integrity” of the academy.

[cbsnews.com]

Apunzelle 7 Mar 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is what people should be talking about instead of Will Smith's reflexive action against some man who has a history of poking fun at his wife.
Evidently Lady Gaga, has a truly caring respectful heart when it comes to her fellow entertainers who are experiencing rough times.

"Liza Minnelli, Lady Gaga offer heart-warming Oscars moment amid chaos" [amp.usatoday.com]

Hollywood is the propaganda wing of the American Military Industrial Complex and nothing more.

Its 'Stars' are nothing more than over paid puppets and avatars, to deflect attention away from the ruthless exploitation of labor for which it is well known.

It's so-called progressive reputation is pure pretense, for an industry that is driven by pure American greed and self interest, run by people who are assets for the American security agencies more than most people have any understanding of.

Bottom line: If Hollywood people slap each other, then at least it might be an honest act for a change. So I don't care.

Personally, I can't wait for Ricky Gervais to get his hands on this. The only 'award ceremony' I ever watch are the highlights of Gervais cutting those phonies down to size and seeing the look on their phoney faces.

What Chris Rock said was rude and hurtful but Will Smith could have handled that like an adult... without resorting to a physical attack on live television. To me, it came across as arrogant and egotistical of Smith. He should be banned from future events.

Chris Rock should apologize for what he said and Will Smith should apologize for striking Chris Rock.

I agree 100%. He looked like he even smirked as he walked away after assaulting Chris Rock. Utter madness!

I don’t think they should take away his trophy, but either a lifetime ban from attending the event or for a certain # of years would be a good punishment, especially now that he’s finally publicly apologized.

that joke was pure insulting and violent in the first place. how idiot a person can be to know about another one's condition and make jokes about that! you can make jokes if she did that haircut on purpose, by her own decision!

Diaco Level 7 Mar 28, 2022

I agree that the joke was insulting, but I think it’s a stretch to say it was “violent.”

Also, how can we expect people to know about everyone else’s life? I didn’t know about Jada’s condition. I’d never even heard of alopecia until last night. It’s a mad expectation on Will Smith’s part.

@Apunzelle We can hurt and even kill ppl. just with words.
In Hollywood, everyone knows everything about each other, she's a public figure and told about her issue publicly last year. so for sure, he made that joke on purpose.

Yes, he should lose the Oscar.

Seriously? You’re offended because he jumped to his wife’s defense?

It was a joke. A bad joke. Thanking God was a worse joke.

I wonder if the powers that be would consider both the nature of the joke as well as the response to it in deciding on any retribution.

@Matias Apparently, they have a history. But it MY wife had a medical condition and someone made fun of her, there would be MUCH more than that little bitch slap.

@Secretguy I’m not offended by Will Smith’s behavior — I’m appalled by it.

We’re not cavemen who act on base impulses because we haven’t yet learned to control them. There are smarter, more mature, less unhinged ways to address perceived ills.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:658059
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.