Agnostic.com

3 5

'It is all about your personal relationship with god(s) as an individual; with no regard whatsoever for the government under which you may find yourself.'

Least Religious Countries 2022
[worldpopulationreview.com]

Although they are the world's most secularised countries, the Scandinavian countries (Norway, Denmark, etc.), are dominated by Lutheran Christianity and have very small unaffiliated population percentages. Interesting, eh?

Do you consider your countries substantially secularised?

Ryo1 8 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The survey had Australia as the least religious country in the world.

This result says a lot about surveys and psephomancy.

Sadly the current Australian prime minister, who shall remain nameless, didn't have time to introduce an anti-corruption bill to parliament but did hustle in the Religious Discrimination Bill which is intended to ensure that the religious can discriminate in the name of god.

By god and Ripley believe it or not.

Hi there.

'This result says a lot about surveys and psephomancy.'
A fair point. And survey results vary depending on which aspect they focus on; in the case of this particular link, population, personal perception, etc.

And thanks for your input regarding Australian prime minister and the religious discrimination bill.

As the Scandinavian countries demonstrate, how secular a society is does not necessarily mean that the majority of a nation are religiously unaffiliated. I find it intriguing.

In many countries, including the UK, freedom of religion is protected by law, but if everybody shares the understaing that religious belief is purely a personal affair with god(s), it will not extend to interfere with political decision-making.

I wonder if there are any active members here who are Scandinavian. It would be interesting to hear from them.

The United States of Absurdity, SECULAR? Just WHO are you trying to kid here?
Your Constitution MAY say ONE thing BUT please EXHIBIT clearly and distinctly, IF you POSSIBLY can, 5, yes that is FIVE ACTUAL Instances, PRECISELY where those actual Demonstrable and Provable, beyond even the merest shadow of a doubt where this ASSUMED Secularism as per the U.S. Constitution are actually and rigidly applied WITHOUT even 1 iota of external pressures, etc, etc, being applied to remove, mitigate and alter in any way shape or form by religions/religious influences.
Can YOU put YOUR money ( claim) where YOUR mouth now is and PROVE your comments/statements to one and all?

There are many insightful views on America I can get from those who actually live there. How about your country? Do you consider Australia substantially secularised? What is your personal perception?

@Ryo1 Dodge the question at hand seems to be impression I am getting here.

I certainly don't feel the US is substantially secularised. By law, the constitution we are, bit in practice, f'ck no.

Hi there. I read somewhere that the founding fathers stated that the Constitution was subject to revision and has been amended a few times in the past. There is probably a hope that it can be amended?

The Constitution does TWO things regarding religion:
“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, OR prohibiting the free exercise thereof.”

@Ryo1 The constitution isn't the problem. The problem comes from right wing evangelicals who ignore it or try to reinterpret it, or change history to fit their narrative (like, the founders were all xtion and meant for US to be an xtion nation - in reality, most of the founders were not very religious)

@skado Then how come it is so difficult to realise the concept of a 'separation of church and state' in America? Well, it gives the impression that it has been difficult.

@Beowulfsfriend Someone, can't for the life of me remember who atm, once said this.
" Religion and Politics are like like 2 Whores on a street corner arguing, fighting, screaming, scratching and clawing away at each other over the exact same "john" and who should screw him first."
P.S. And with the added notation affixed afterwards being that the " john" is a reference to the WHOLE population and not just 1 single person.

@Ryo1 Please take a bit of advice here and DO NOT hold your breath waiting for a REPLY from @skado, chances are extremely high that you will NEVER receive one because, imo, he is yet another of the post and run, get the points and hide type of chicken-shit arse-wipes, i.e. as we say here in Australia, All mouth and No trousers.

If you think you're secularised by law, you might check out this statute, in your country.
[law.justia.com]

@Ryo1
What Beowulfsfriend said.

In a country with so many religious people, even if a given politician may not privately be all that religious, he has to act like it in order to get votes. And many of them are indeed religious themselves. So the influence is there even when no Constitutional law is being broken.

That said, at least at the federal level (states may vary) the letter of the law is mostly upheld. The leakage is mostly around the edges of the law.
Interpretation can be a bitch.

@skado
'Interpretation can be a bitch.' The same applies to the Bible and any other religious scriptures. Lol

@Ryo1
Times ten!

@Triphid your grossly unwarranted attacks on people that even Slightly disagree with anything that comes out of your face are getting tedious. Act like an adult ferpetessake.
And, @skado has replied through this post for sure, so you look damned foolish too.
Oooooh, now I am braced to bear the full force of your (pathetic) scorn. Eeek!

@AnneWimsey Do I cry later because you THINK you MAY have admonished me or shall I pss myself laugh here and now?
On second thoughts, I just settle for a bloody good belly-laughing session because YOU feel the motherly need to stand up for @skado even though he is a Grown man anyway, well physically he is or so his profile APPEARS to show.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:658358
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.