Agnostic.com

8 12

Massive software updates are my nemesis. How about you?

Gregg, a psychologist whom I dated, mailed me a used Sony digital camera that matches mine. "I noticed the focus on your old camera wasn't working right," he said.

Giant software update

Until today, it was easy to download photos from my camera to my laptop. But when I attached the camera to my computer, all hell broke loose. Sony updated their camera software. New name: Sony Play Memories. Couldn't download photos.

First step: sign in or register. But each time I tried the software timed out. The Help screen was useless. I don't speak their secret language.

Boarding the Mother Ship

So I went to the main Sony website to register. It was like boarding the Mother Ship after tossing on turbulent seas in a small rowboat.

"This email is associated with an existing Sony-account. Do you want to merge the accounts?" What Sony account? I thought blearily. I clicked yes. Good move. I'm registered. That's done.

Relaxing in a hot shower, I remembered a former boyfriend John bought me a new Sony Smart TV. He was shocked that I never watch TV. I dutifully filled out the registration for the warranty and, as it turn out, superb help. Sony staff remotely fix my TV and update it.

Registering was enough for today. Tomorrow will tackle leaning Sony Play Memories. I hate dealing with software updates!

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I finally had to replace my desktop, that was 2 years ago and it came with 2 years of tech support and virus protection. When it was due to expire I decided to renew. The price was right for the tech support and virus protection just because of the updates and such.

I feel your pain! I have ordered a new phone, it is on back order, and when it comes in I will have to do the transfer by myself. I've always had the store do it before. I supposed I could go into the local store, but covid... and time... And yes, my job keeps updating our software, and we're migrating from old software to new and improved. And then I was nominated by my boss for training on a new project. His opinion of my abilities is way too high! I want others to be first to get the bugs out, then they can teach me, but alas... and it doesn't look that bad... so I downloaded the new app onto my phone and when it goes live I'll be as ready as I can be.

It is best to use a desktop, for most of the complicated stuff, since they usually cope with updates far better, and the worst thing that happens is that they slow down for a bit. I used to have a card swipe machine, to take payments in the business, and every few days, it would crash completely for an hour or more when an update came through. Always of course, when you were serving a customer. Very embarrassing.

Makes me cringe every time - then I work through it all and it's OK! But I will still cringe the next time.

I'm guessing that your digital camera has a detachable memory card and that your laptop has a memory card slot that accepts and reads XD/SD cards..🙂

@ASTRALMAX

Wish it was the case.

Nothing in my digital camera. It's not that fancy.

Laptop does not have a memory card slot.

Darn it.

@LiterateHiker What is the make and model of your camera?

@ASTRALMAX

2012 Sony CyberShot Digital Camera, Model DSC-HX1.

2015 HP Pavilion Notebook Laptop.

They always want to do it when I want to use the app 😂

The unspoken purpose of all these updates is to eventually leave your hardware outmoded, so you have to buy a new phone or whatever or watch as your old one slowly dies. Samsung hasn't updated the software for my phone in 3 years. Hell, it took me 5 years to learn how to use the damn thing, and I'm still finding bits that I don't know how to work. But I refuse to buy a new one until absolutely necessary. So I watch this one get slower... and slower...... and...... slower................

@Paul4747

Good point. That's like Detroit car companies producing cars that wear out in three years.

Planned obsolescence.

@LiterateHiker But not always. I'm still driving an '04 Pontiac (bought in 2003). It's just now starting to have some mechanical wearing-out, like the driver's door handle breaking some....thing on the inside of the door (I think a linkage), which means it can't be opened from outside the car. And the volume knob on the radio sometimes turns the sound up instead of down or vice-versa. Do cars still come with CD players? Or is it all supposed to plug in to your phone or something? I know they don't have ignition keys anymore, which freaked me out.

Preach it, sister.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:659031
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.