Agnostic.com

3 6

I am glad I got to visit Hungary. I wonder if it will change a lot because of these events.

"Orban's victory puts Hungary on collision course with EU | Reuters" [reuters.com]

Lorajay 9 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A friend is doing a film in Budapest and other parts of Europe right now. Scary time to be there.

The EU should sanction Hungary. The bigger threat is Germany supporting Russia through buying Russian oil and NG.

I find his "landslide victory" as questionable as Putin's. Has anyone spoken about whether this was indeed a free election? Or has Hungary just lost it?

IMO, voters chose neither of them.

I hope his landslide victory was manufactured. I was the guest in the home of some Hungarians who had deep prejudice against the large gypsy population. Orban was never discussed during those visits. Orthodox Churches seem to be flourishing there. One of their most stable industries is tourism and medical education from other European countries. Like any country with a strong leader, there public transportation runs on time and the electricity and Wi-Fi works.

@Lorajay It's a myth that Hitler made trains run on time. That was Mussolini. And both Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany, as with Stalinist Russia, were rife with corruption as people tried to work around the regime's strictures. I don't doubt Hungary will remain much the same as this rule goes on, if not become worse. Transpaency International reports that 36% of Hungrians use personal connections when dealing with public services and authorities; it's considered normal to tip health care workers. The nation's largely apathetic toward corruption, despite a new law criminalizing such tips. [transparency.org]

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:659108
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.