Agnostic.com

35 17

Do you think it's wrong to lie about your age on a dating site? He's 68. His profile says 53.

For the first time ever, today I got blocked by a man on Fitness Singles. We were messaging back-and-forth. He let it slip that he's really 68- my age.

"Women reject me when they find out the truth," he said. Clearly he's going after younger women.

"All of your photos are head shots," I said. "Why are you hiding your body?"

"I could never trust you," I concluded. "You are a liar." Then he blocked me.

Was I too harsh? Could you trust someone who substantially lied?

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Lying damages trust. Without trust there is no relationship. If anything, you weren't harsh enough.

Betty Level 8 Apr 8, 2022

Meh. Don't waste your time.

Ryo1 Level 8 Apr 11, 2022

When someone blocks me and expects me to care😆

To make matters worse:

His house is for sale in Boise, Idaho. "I want to get out of Idaho." He plans to live in his camper and travel around meeting women. Wants a woman to rescue him?

He claims to be an author but just wrote a two-sentence profile. Odd for a writer.

Reminds me of the movie "Nomadland."

Sounds like after that initial big lie he is pretty honest about wanting as many random powpows as he can. And no more.

Really nothing at all wrong with that.

You were only telling the truth, so you weren't being harsh. He should have told the truth. I think what he's hoping for is that by the time someone finds out his real age they won't care because they already like him by that time. So many times I've seen that the age given does not match their current picture, or maybe they've just aged hard and fast. 🙂

@RhondaShotwell

Well said.

Not wrong, but probably counterproductive… unless he is specifically looking for women who are attracted to deceivers.

I lie about my age everywhere I need to post an age on the internet, because I’m old fashioned and superstitious about providing personal identity information to potential scammers. But I always say I’m older than I am.

I also lie about every other potentially identifying feature - location, etc. The general public has no automatic “right” to that information. If a personal relationship is developing (which it never has, because I’m not seeking that online) the first thing I would do is explain all of this before meeting.

skado Level 9 Apr 8, 2022

YES! I think it's wrong to lie about anything substantial on a dating site. Hell, if I knew how to lie I'd make myself seem attractive or interesting!

A couple years don't bother me ... much more than that, I wonder if they actually plan to meet anyone in person , or if they have a lousy self image ...

I remember years ago , meeting a guy that I had big trouble recognizing. Turns out he'd used his son's photo !! The first thing I said was "damn - why'd ya do that !?" I left.

That is a huge fudge.

Sickening in a way that men usually look for women at least 15 years younger.

And a man bumping 70 in the ass wanted to e sure you had a "hot" body?

Easy. No and No.

I always trust what I am told by a religious leader. Doctors who have spent so much getting indoctrinated should be checked. Of course, I do not expect to live long.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:659649
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.