Agnostic.com

5 16

LINK These Black female soldiers brought order to chaos and delivered a blow against inequality - The Black Detour

😳 Truly fascinating.

It's time for Critical Race Theory to be taught long before a Master's degree.

White shame if necessary, it's deserved. It's time to get the hell on over it and teach history as it was, not whitewashed, as it's taught today.

#justsayin

SeaGreenEyez 9 Apr 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

“I have a hard time with historians because they idolize the truth. The truth is not uplifting; it destroys...Historians should tell only that part of the truth that is inspiring and uplifting.”
The late and unlamented - Boyd K. Packer Apostle of the LDS church and head of the church educational division and managing director of the church's military relations committee.
A life long card carrying republican and completely bigoted fascist bastard.

True heroes

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 15, 2022

White people deserved to be shamed because they're white? You are truly an idiot of a human being.

Tejas Level 8 Apr 15, 2022

@SeaGreenEyez yeah just avoid my question with poor grammar and false assumptions. #dumbass #hypocrite #itypelikea14yearoldgirlbecauseiminsecure 🙈🙉🙊 🖕🖕🖕🖕🖕 maybe now you'll understand

😢😭🤬FAR, far too much of history has been ignored or re-written.

I have come to the conclusion that other than dates, places, and most names, what l learned in public school was mostly bullshit.

A publishing company is revising even James Madison's notes of what the Founders said in the 1787 Constitutional Convention. It's taking out Alexander Hamilton's words about the rich and well born governing and Madison's words about protecting the opulent minority from the majority.

So we teach that the white men stormed the beaches into machine gun fire and the black women sorted the mail? Wouldn't it make more sense to teach about the tuskegee airmen instead?

BD66 Level 8 Apr 15, 2022

All of it needs teaching. All women were regulated to "less dangerous" jobs. Speaking of the Red Tails, also, remind people of the black soldiers who were given to the French and proved great fighters. And, teach about the syphilis experiments.
Too much of all history is sanitized. When I briefly (2 years) taught history to Middle school, I spoke on why Castro rose to power in Cuba. I never praised him, and presented his faults. That said, my students, whether they fully learned or not, heard about how corrupt Batista was.

@Beowulfsfriend I agree with this:

"Too much of all history is sanitized:

However if you switch the mix from positive History to negative history, don't you run the risk of making young kids too cynical? I'd say it makes sense to teach positive history until high school, then start to throw in some negative stuff. If they really want to be exposed to the dirty, nasty, stuff, let them learn that in community college and college classes.

@BD66 History is not positive or negative. It can be colored with those connotations, the facts don't change. It's people like the Daughters of the American Civil War that actively set out to re-write the facts of slavery.

@silverotter11 There are more facts about history than you could possibly teach to school children from K to 12. You could teach all positive things. You could teach all negative things, or some mix between the positive and the negative. In general, it's a good idea for each student coming out of K-12 to come away with a positive feeling about the country he grew up in and the society he will join as an adult.

@BD66 I doubt that you understand the causes of cynicism. Teachers deal with youthful idealism by teaching both the positive and the negative, and teaching them together. The Founders were human beings dealing with human problems. Read the Constitution's preamble.

@yvilletom I don’t have to read the Constitution’s preamble, I can recite it from memory. Please enlighten me about the root causes of cynicism. I just finished watching a documentary on Benjamin Franklin, who started life as an indentured servant and became the first or second most influential American of the 18th Century. I can’t imagine a more inspiring story to youth of all races. How much time do you take away from teaching about people like Franklin to spend teaching about black women who sorted mail?

@BD66 You wrote of switching the mix and making young kids too cynical. I will leave to you the burden of enlightening me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:660984
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.