Agnostic.com

4 11

What a day! Walked 10 miles looking for Karen.

I was excited to see Karen, my favorite hiking partner. Sadly, her husband died and she moved to Yakima last November. We planned to meet at Riverfront Park for a walk today. She has bad hip pain, probably from hiking every day for decades.

"I'm headed to Riverfront Park," she texted while I was eating breakfast. "Can you meet me now?" (She always notifies me at the last minute.) "Where do you want to meet?" I texted.

"Let's meet at the boat launch near the restroom," Karen replied. Which boat launch, which restroom? I wondered. I parked too far north. It's hard to find entry to the riverfront parks. No road signs. Riverfront Park, Walla Walla Point Park and Confluence State Park are seamlessly along the Columbia River waterfront.

Sent Karen a text when I arrived. "I parked my car at Walla Walla Point Park. Will start walking south looking for you." As usual, I locked my phone in the car trunk with my purse and took off jogging and walking fast.

Unknown to me, Karen changed our meeting place. It's my fault for not bringing my phone. She was north of me at Confluence State Park because of a half-marathon run going on. Personally, I enjoyed watching the runners speed by. Guess the runners bothered her.

Karen gave up waiting for me. I felt terrible. I need to remember to carry the phone when meeting someone, in case they change the meeting place or time. I apologized. "Let's take a rain check," Karen texted. She left for Yakima.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My phone goes in my back pocket, even on my motorcycle

twill Level 7 Apr 17, 2022

@twill

You're a man. A smart phone does not fit into my pants pockets. My size 4 pants pockets are proportionally smaller like doll clothes.

With women's clothes pockets are decorative, not useful. Women have complained about this for decades.

@LiterateHiker YES, I don't understand the clothing industry. Try finding MT long sleeve shirts....LL Bean is the only place I can find them in a variety and with quality.

How about one of those arm bands that I used to see used in the gym? (I am sure they are still used in the gym, I just dropped my membership at the beginning of the pandemic.) That way it is not pulling down on your pocket, it is a pouch that straps to your upper arm. I encourage you NOT to walk off without your phone. You are an attractive woman, a woman, and a woman of a certain age. You just never know when you will need to reach out to someone for your own safety. My kids get very aggravated if I don't answer in a reasonable amount of time. If I don't show up for work when I'm scheduled and haven't called out sick one of my daughters is my emergency contact and they will call her. If they call her and I haven't she will be all over me. I let that daughter know if I am going out with someone and when I expect to be home, not that that has happened in a while. You just never know when you'll need to reach someone.

@HippieChick58

Thanks for your support.

I don't want to strap a smart phone to my upper arm. Sounds painful, especially when lifting weights.

I hike with people and run where people are around. Never walk at night.

Not your fault.

@Jolanta

Thank you. I hate carrying my smart phone while running and hiking.

1. It does not fit into my pant pockets. Leggings don't have pockets. With size 4 pants, pockets are proportionally smaller.

2. If I'm wearing a jacket (rarely), I hate how the phone bangs against my body.

3. Except for hiking poles, I don't carry anything in my hands while hiking and running. I see women hand-carry their phone while running. They seem addicted to it.

@LiterateHiker I carry my smart phone on my hip in a holster. I can't even tell that it's there...but it's always there. You really shouldn't hike without your phone, especially if you're alone.

@Fit50something

I never hike alone. Hiking partners carry their phones.

Glad you found a holster that works for you. I have been struggling with carrying the damn phone since 2018 when my daughter bullied me into getting it. Love the GPS for driving directions.

1. I never wear a belt. Too uncomfortable.

2. A smart phone does not fit into my pants pockets. Size 4 pants pockets are proportionally smaller like doll clothes. With women's clothes, pockets are decorative, not useful. Women have complained about this for decades.

3. If I wear a jacket (rarely, I get too hot), I can put the phone in a front deep inner pocket. Hate how the phone bangs against my body with every step.

4. Except for hiking poles, I refuse to carry anything in my hands.

5. As a seamstress, I enlarged hiking pants pockets to fit the smartphone. The phone is so heavy, it sagged and rhythmically hit my knee as I walked.

6. Even sewed a cloth carrying case to carry the smart phone diagonally across my body like a camera. Pain in the neck. It tangled with the camera strap. Used alone, it bounced and smacked me. Aggravating.

Oh shoot, too many unknowns & different patterns - hope it works out better next time, but you certainly got your miles in!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:661303
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.